Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

troyhimes
Resolver I
Resolver I

Analysis Services as Data Connection in Gateway FAIL

I am an On-premises gateway novice.  I've successfully created data source gateway connections to databases and network based files.  I now have a semantic model with a connection to a separate service hosted semantic model.  I'm now trying to create a connection to that data source for the gateway.  In setup, only 'Authentication method' option is Windows and I use my Username and network Password (same username/password successfully used for other gateway data connections), but it fails returning error "Sibanye-PowerBI: Authentication failed: User ID and Password are required when user interface is not available".

Seems like I'm missing something basic, any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
NandanHegde
Super User
Super User

Can you please provide a screenshot of the gateway configs (masking sensitive data)
and also can you confirm whether it is Azure analysis service or On Prem/IaaS SSAS?

That would help us help you better

gatewayerror.pnggatewayerror2.png

Can you also confirm whether it is an SSAS (analysis service in On Prem or IaaS) or Azure analysis service/Powerbi Premium equivalent of AAS?

Based on your server name, it feels more of Powerbi premium equivalent; and in that case Azure analysis services and PowerBI Premium equivalent doesnt suppor windows authentication.

It supports AD authentication /MFA based authentication; so ideally one cannot use a gateway for Azure Analysis service .

The Gateway for analysis service is only for SSAS (On Prem/IaaS)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors