Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

power bi report server web portal modifications

Hi

I am responsible for implementing Power BI in my company. I am PL-300 certified.

My company decided to go with on-prem PBI RS. I successfuly installed the PBI RS and it's up and running now on our local server.

PBI RS Desktop features differ from PBI Desktop. Annoying but true. However, I can mostly do workarounds using what I know about DAX, M and data modeling inside PBI. Even when I do not know what to do as a workaround, I search a lot based on the basics that I know and understand and hopefuly reach good results.

Now, I am facing some problems on the web portal of PBI RS. Mainly two problems.

First; scheduled refresh for the same .pbix sometimes refreshes and sometimes fail.

Second; I desperately need to modify lots of elements on the web portal interface like removing items from the menus, or removing menus alltogether (without appending suffixes on the url because this is not effective in my case).

For example, View menu has toggles for showing Bookmark Panee. Why ? This will completely expose any bookmark buttons work and simply make ut useless. I need to remove this item.

menus problem

For both of my problems with the web portal of PBI RS, I am helpless ! This is not something that can be solved using DAX, M or PBI data model. This is something that needs certain language and development that I am not even aware of.

And this is my question.

What should I learn to be able to modify this web portal as much as I like ? What language ? Best resources ? I believe there is a langauge that will make me do workarounds regarding the data refresh problem, like writing some code that will make several retry on the refresh (because that is what i do manually) or better yet makes me understand the error codes (I recieve lots of error codes and even when searching for solutions, people keep saying ideas that I do not understand)

So please advice on what to master in order to be able to modify the portal fluently and how ?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mostafa-Hussien ,

In PBI RS, program refreshes are sometimes unpredictable:

You can view logging and monitoring: Implement detailed logging and monitoring for refresh activities. This will help you track patterns and identify specific issues.

Modifying the Web portal at will is unlikely to be possible at this time, so if you have a good idea, you can post your thoughts at this site below.

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.