Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

db042190
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

paginated reports and datasets vs reports and data sources

Hi I wasnt sure where to post this because we arent pbi on prem, we use the service. 

But when using report builder we do save rdls to our ssrs folders and i'm not sure if its by default or manual but to what sometimes appear to be a "paginated report" sort of folder under existing folders and sometimes not (ie not classified as paginated).    In my mind these paginated reports dont look any different under the covers than any other rdl.  so i wonder why they are classified that way.

But i see folks also creating datasets plumbed to data sources.  Whats the difference between a dataset and just plumbing the traditional proc or query to a data source listed right in your report?   unless the datsets are very broadly defined in biz areas like models, i fear we are going to have a proliferation of datasets.   whereas shared datasources are generally to the db itself and the query is in the properties of the report's datasets.  not being in the service i dont see the purpose unless MS figured these are going to the service someday anyway.  this is confusing.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db042190 ,

A dataset is a specific collection of data used in a report or dashboard that is created based on one or more data sources. Unlike data sources, datasets are not usually shared between different reports. Each report usually has its own dataset.

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

still not clear xianda.  most reports i've ever seen in ssrs have 2 or more datasets defined within the rdl.  seems like these shared datasets that im asking about are going to proliferate.  if they arent going to be reused , i dont see their practicality.  and i'm not sure why i see a sudden surge in paginated reports either.  especially if those paginated reports will never make it to pbi's cloud service.  what am i missing?   i get that if you launch rb it will probably create your report as a paginated report (i think).  and if you use another paginated report as the basis of your new report it will be a paginated report.  but i just dont see the reason for these 2 paths i'm seeing for reports that will stay on prem and shared datasets that see to accompany them , datsets that will never get reused.  i must be missing something.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.