Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsyashwini
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to open report - "models aren't currently supported in Power BI Report Server"

I am trying to download and open a reprot from ReportServer Jan 2020 . I get this error.

"This file uses many to many relationships or a composite model which combines DirectQuery sources and/or imported data. These models aren't currently supported in Power BI Report Server"

Whoever uploaded this report is not with team. How can I get to open this report ? Is it possible ?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are able to open with cloud verion ...it works fine...But we want it for reporting sever desktop so that we can publish on prem and share with users added on prem....

Please help us on Reporting server version ...

Has any1 tried integrating reports from microsoft dynamice ERP system to reporting server and not cloud...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing same challenges..its possible to open with cloud verion but we want to open with reporting server since we have on prem ...how should we reolve it.

Generally, some few features are not supported in PBIRS (and some of them is also not supported in PBI Desktop RS).

You must open pbix file in PBI Desktop (cloud version), remove unsupported features, save, and then open in PBI Desktop RS for save to PBIRS.

Which unsupported features is used is not easy to say, but in most cases it is about:

-composite model combines DQ and import mode, in RS is not possible. In RS all tables must in import mode (from multiple sources), or all tables must be in DQ mode (from only one source).

-many-to-many relationship between two tables, it is unsupported in RS (and not recommended in cloud PBI), and you must rebuild model (instead one many-to-many relationship, you can use two 1:n relationshipt with intermendiate relation table)

Hi @Anonymous ,

you have diffrent options:

1) Try to open a pbix from cloud desktop in the actual Report Server 2021 desktop - this might work

2) Change the version number in the pbix file to the report server version you use - this also migth work

3) Rebuild the report you created in the cloud desktop - this works 100% 🙂

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

Thank you so much for solutions:

So let me make you clear..

The reports i am trying to access are from out of box from ERP system-Dynamics...

these are builtin reports...

So i want to open using RS in order to publish on on premi reporting server and not cloud since our company is using reporting server to publish other PBi dashboards

DivyaDusseja_0-1612684335299.png

I am able to open same file with cloud version desktop and not giving me error

Hi @Anonymous ,

ah ok thats sadly a feature which isn't supported in Report Server (m:n relationship) try to delete this relationship an try to open it again in Report Server Desktop. Is your version the current one for Report Server (Jan 2021)? Then it could work in this way...maybe the connection to the data source isn't also supported...but give it a try If its not working you can copy all the viusals from your current cloud report and paste it into the Report Server version after you connected the data source and fill in all the needed measures and calculated columns If you have some :).

Best,

Kathrin

KBO
MVP

Hi, open it with the power bi desktop client for the cloud. 🙂

Best, Kathrin 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have on premisis setup of reporting server...if we still want ot open in this version ...can you pls guide us...

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, 

I am also a user on the file in question.

I can see the visualizations in PowerBI web app, but not the data model.

How can I access that?

Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous ,

what do you mean with I can't see the data model? The data model is created in the pbix and If you open the Power BI desktop you can go to the modeling view and see your datamodel. The Power BI Service is mostly to display the visualization layer. If you have created dataflows you can see them as well in the service but not the realtionships between them, thats a desktop thing :).

Best,
Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.