Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

UyenL
Frequent Visitor

Share reports with external users in Power BI Report Server

Hello everyone,

I'm curious to learn if there's a possibility to share reports hosted on an on-premises instance of Power BI Report Server with external users. These external users might include employees from partner organizations or individual customers.

Despite my efforts to find official documentation on this matter, all the documents I've come across only discuss external user sharing in the Power BI Service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's correct, Power BI Report Server is squarely aimed at internal only consumption.  You can contort your way out of this but that is called "fighting the API"  and not recommended.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's correct, Power BI Report Server is squarely aimed at internal only consumption.  You can contort your way out of this but that is called "fighting the API"  and not recommended.

Could you let me know how I can hypothetically work out a solution for this if the client still wishes to use PBIRS and share reports with external users?

You would use a translator app from the external user IDs to internal IDs, much like a NAT setup.  Not something that you can scale.

I recommend you read this instead:  Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Kudoed Authors