Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Fibos
Frequent Visitor

Report server- limiting power query and making bookmarks

Hello guys,

I need to ask if there is a way to limit access to power query a completely restric so that user coudln't manipulate with data in any way.

I still want them to be able to open the report because of creating bookmarks because as I understand it the only way users could have any kind of bookmarks is through Desktop aplication. So i want them access around 50% of Desktop aplication. The manipulation with data should be off limit and only the visualization should be accessiable.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Not possible in Power BI RS alone... Only two ways ...

1) Move this reports to cloud Power BI Service, where it is possible

2) Use SQL Server Analysis Services for data model and live connected Power BI for visualisation, if you want keep on-premise

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fibos
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for reply

If i understand it correctly with quick research SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) basicly seperates data modeling and visualization. And if power bi is connected to SSAS there is only option to create visuals but is it impossible to manipulate data (Create new, change or erase)

Are there any downfall because of using SSAS as middle man between Power BI and SQL?

Because for me it seams only as additional steps but without any kind of limitation.

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yes, exactly, SSAS separates model with data, and PBI report for visualisation.

There no functional or performance downfall (Power BI import mode also use internal SSAS database). On the contrary, SSAS will allow much more (what on PBIRS alone is not possible), like incremental data refresh (partitioning), large models (there no limit 1GB), and you can share single model to many reports.

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Not possible in Power BI RS alone... Only two ways ...

1) Move this reports to cloud Power BI Service, where it is possible

2) Use SQL Server Analysis Services for data model and live connected Power BI for visualisation, if you want keep on-premise

Fibos
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to find this because there is request o be able to save filters and as i founded the only way to save filters is in desktop. I don't need the personalized bookmark just be able to save them as user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.