Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

al_cslai
Regular Visitor

On Premises Data Gateway Scripting

Hi,

Does someone have an idea how I could automate the installation and logon?

I would like to use an auto scaling group, so it can creates multiple instances if needed.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do I need to remind your of the obligatory XKCD? xkcd: Is It Worth the Time?

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
al_cslai
Regular Visitor

I can fully understand the situation and I was also thinking of cloning instances and use the images for scaling other services. But as you said, it still needs manual configuration. 

So tl;dr there's no way to automate stuff like this?

Do I need to remind your of the obligatory XKCD? xkcd: Is It Worth the Time?

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I would caution you here.  First of all you want to do extreme vetting on any new gateway version as they tend to come out half baked, and there is no clean way to downgrade  (only a complete remove and reinstall of the LKG version will do).

For auto scaling you need to have VMs already prepared including the gateway service, the configuration changes for the proxy, the ADO and ODBC drivers - everything MUST match between cluster members, at all times.  

You might get away with a cloned VM image for that but the machine name itself would have to be hand configured.

The actual onboarding and offboarding of cluster members in the cluster is not something you can do programmatically. You need to specify the target gateway, inject the Recovery key, and confirm the action - all manually, on each of the cluster members.

Once you have a pool of cluster members you can use the web interface to selectively disable some of them.  However again this is a manual process without any automation options.

What you will want is extensive monitoring and telemetry to gauge if you actually need to increase the number of cluster members, or if updating the memory or CPU count on the existing VMs is sufficient. Check the average mashup container count in your telemetry.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.