Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pundip44
Regular Visitor

MySQL: Retrieval of the RSA public key is not enabled for insecure connections.

I am unable to refresh a MySQL 8 datasource in a on prem version of Power BI reporting server. When I go in the datasouce and enter credentials under with Basic Authentication type and test I get the error: 

MySQL: Retrieval of the RSA public key is not enabled for insecure connections.

My versions are as follows:

PBRIS on premisis version 15.0.1112.48

Mysql .NET 8.0.28

I am able to refresh the datasource in PowerBI Desktop RS version Version: 2.117.984.0 64-bit (May 2023)

This is apprently a common issue with MySQL and the common fix quoted is add allowPublicKeyRetrieval=true to the connection string except I cant see how the edit the connection string. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pundip44 ,

To change the connection string, you might need to use PowerShell scripts to interact with the Report Server's API.

Please try below steps:

1. Open PowerShell and ensure you have the Reporting Services Tools module installed. If you don't have it, you can install it using the following command:

Install-Module -Name ReportingServicesTools

2. Import the ReportingServicesTools module

Import-Module ReportingServicesTools

3. Connect to your Power BI Reporting Server using the `Connect-RsReportServer` cmdlet.

4. Use the `Set-RsDataSource` cmdlet to update the data source connection string. The exact command will depend on your server setup, but it will be something like:

Set-RsDataSource -ReportServerUri 'http://<YourReportServerURL>' -DataSourcePath '/path/to/your/datasource' -DataSourceUsername 'yourusername' -DataSourcePassword 'yourpassword' -ConnectionString "your connection string;allowPublicKeyRetrieval=true;"

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am not sure how to do step 3. " Connect to your Power BI Reporting Server using the `Connect-RsReportServer` cmdlet." Also I just want to check that the -DataSourceUsername references the MySQL username?  I ask as I am getting this error:

Set-RsDataSource : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'DataSourceUsername'.
At line:1 char:92
+ ... ReportServer' -DataSourcePath '/acc/acc/' -DataSourceUsername 'remote ...

Hi @pundip44 ,

Please refer below documents, hope it is helpful for you:

ReportingServicesTools/ReportingServicesTools/Functions/CatalogItems/Set-RsDataSource.ps1 at master ...,

ReportingServicesTools/ReportingServicesTools/Functions/CatalogItems/Set-RsDataSource.ps1 at master ...

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.