Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

barakb32
Advocate I
Advocate I

Best Option for Model Reuse in PBRS - SSAS? SSRS Datasets?

Hello,

We have a customer that is planning on an extsensive PBRS solution with many "modules" (reports). There will be a lot of common content in the models serving the different reports and we are looking for options to build "Model Infrastructure".

I know that one option is SSAS, but the customer is not very happy with this option because: a. They don't have this skill and don't want to develop it, b. The DWH is on Oracle and they don't want an SSAS instance

I saw that there is option to connect to SSRS datasets (which they have the skill and the place to build). What's your opinion about using SSRS datasets as shared model infrastructure? Is there an advantage for an SSRS dataset over a view or a table in the DWH that is updated by a Stored Procedure?

Is there any other option?

Thanks,

Barak

1 REPLY 1
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

I had the same situation in one project and assume you are planning to create PBIRS (old SSRS) reports for on-premise server.

If yes, I followed this approach

Developed the reports using Oracle database as backend.

After three months or so, convinced the management to build the semantic layer using SSAS Cube, along with SQL DW (replica of oracle) 

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.