Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CPIBecklon
Helper I
Helper I

"Vlookup Like"

Hello! Please note the two tables below. Actual refers to a query that I have.

In the query, there is an activity column. Activities are A,B, and C.

There is also a Unit # column. Units are simply machines that are being assigned a value.

Machine # column, however, refers to the type of machine. For example, a 1 may mean that it is an Acme machine, while 2  may mean that it is a Bestbrand machine.

As you can see, the Machine # will only appear with Activity C. Unit #, however, appears with Activity B and C. Is there a simple way within the query that I can make the corresponding Machine numbers appear with Activity B? The "Ideal" table shows what I am trying to achieve. I realize that I could duplicate the query, filter out Activity C, group data, and then pull the data back into the original query...but this makes the Query run slower. I am hoping for a simple fix within the original query, but at this point, I am thinking it is not possible.

I tried the idea of, more or less, duplicating the unit column and the machine column. In the duplicate columns, I filled up. Then I wrote a condition that said "If Unit Column 1=Unit Column 2 and Machine Column 1 = Machine Column2, then return Machine Column 2." Unfortunatley, this will not yield the results I want. I cannot sort the data because this too will impact the results. I would greatly appreciate any input on how to handle this.

CPIBecklon_0-1676822834771.png

4 REPLIES 4
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @CPIBecklon,

can this be done using the join (merge) operation from the main menu?

jbwtp_0-1676854229139.png

Cheres,

John

@jbwtp I should have mentioned above that I did try the suggestion you made. My hope is to streamline the process. Merging seems to make the process slower. At this point, however, I don't think there is a better way. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi @CPIBecklon,

generally speaking Merge is the best as it is clearer what you do. You can try this idea to see if it runs any faster:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQKhWJ1oJScgwwiZYwzjOEM5hnCeERjHxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Activity = _t, Unit = _t, Machine = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Activity", type text}, {"Unit", Int64.Type}, {"Machine", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Unit"}, {{"Count", each Table.ReplaceValue(_,"","",(x, y, z)=> List.Max(_[Machine]),{"Machine"})}}),
    Custom1 = Table.Combine(#"Grouped Rows"[Count])
in
    Custom1

Kind regards,

John

@jbwtp 

John, First let me thank you! Your suggested process started to me to thinking of how to handle this. Maybe your suggestion was the same of what I did. I Grouped my data by Unit # and Machine #. I did not include the activity because Activity A does not capture either unit or machine. By Grouping Unit and Machine, I would assuredly capture  Activities B and C. Please also note that when I built the grouping, I had a final Table Column to reintroduce all the other fields that existed before this step. After I grouped, I sorted the units in ascending order and then the machines in descending order. I then filled the column downward. This then pushed the machine data from the Activity C Rows into the unit data from the Activity B rows. I then expanded the table to include other field that were previously included. Did it work? I am not finding that all Activity B's had a machine listing after doing this. I need to investigate why. While this process seemed like a good idea, it still seems to have taken a while to process the data. Thus, I am thinking you are correct to suggest the merge over the grouping. Thank you for your help with this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors