Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ValeriaBreve
Post Patron
Post Patron

equivalent of DAX studio for M?

Hello,

sorry if this is a dumb question.

I am having issues with PowerQuery in Desktop performance. For my more complex queries, when I write in the editor, I literally have to wait seconds before I see any letter typed appear. It has become a real pain... I have to go letter by letter, wait for each one to appear, type again if it does not show...

I was wondering if there is an equivalent of DAX studio for PowerQuery, where I could write my code and test it, and then paste it back in PowerBI Desktop. 

I have tried Visual Studio Code with the M language extension, however it does not connect to the report (or I have not figured out how to do it)

Hope what I wrote makes sense - thanks for your guidance!

Kind regards

Valeria

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ValeriaBreve How much data are you loading, maybe due to file size there is an issue? There is an extension for Visual Studio that allows you to write M code and return the result as well, try that.

AntrikshSharma_0-1675958364810.png

Extension:

AntrikshSharma_1-1675958410751.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ValeriaBreve How much data are you loading, maybe due to file size there is an issue? There is an extension for Visual Studio that allows you to write M code and return the result as well, try that.

AntrikshSharma_0-1675958364810.png

Extension:

AntrikshSharma_1-1675958410751.png

Thanks! I had not seen this one. I installed it yesterday, need some time to figure out how to use it, but looks exactly like what I need 🙂

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

"For my more complex queries, when I write in the editor, I literally have to wait seconds before I see any letter typed appear" - possibly a problem with Intellisense rather than query execution.

You could try to turn it off from the Power Query options page as an experiment

ValeriaBreve
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hello! For this report in particular, I seem to be getting at ~ 100 lines or code or more... and the model has many queries (I am right now at 90). Not all of them have 100 lines of M code, but many do... yes I know nightmare scenario.... but at least PowerQuery allows me to do such a good preparation that data analysis is then possible!!! (which was not before)

ams1
Super User
Super User

Hi,

IMO there are NO dumb questions 😊.

Complex means how many lines of code?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors