Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andre-V
Regular Visitor

Wonderware Historian Database

Hi all 

I am new to PBI and doing some tests to connect to a Wonderware Historian Database.

So far the direct Query works for some test tags!

If I need to pull in +/- 10000 Tags with a per second history (60*60*24 = 86400 data points /Tag/Day) this would be 315 Billion data point per Year for 10K tags. 

Is the direct Query the best way and how do I refresh (update) the history to the current time?

The second question is with the PowerBI Gateway I connect this to PBI Cloud. how is the bandwidth affected with large data? 

Has anyone done Wonderware Historian or process Historian integration like OSIsoft PI or Wonderware eDNA?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Andre-V,

In Power BI Service, it is not possible to store historical data. However, in Power BI Deskop, you can store historical data, for more details, please review the following thread.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Storing-and-using-information-from-a-dynamic-data-source-usi...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Andre-V , 
This is quite an old post but in case you're still looking to connect any historians check this out

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Connecting-industrial-historians-to-Microsoft-Power-...

Hope this helps.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Andre-V,

Do you store the Wonderware Historian Database in SQL Server? If so, you can use DirectQuery mode to connect to the dataset in Power BI Desktop. DirectQuery is useful when you build visualizations over very large dataset, you can review this article to get more details about DirectQuery.

After you publish Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service, you can add the SQL data source within gateway, as your dataset is configured for a DirectQuery connection, there is a direct connection between Power BI and the database, there is no need to schedule refreshed, and dataset is refreshed approximately each hour or when interaction with the data occurs. Moreover, bandwidth impacts the network, which will impacts the connection between Power BI and SQL data source, to ensure that the refresh process is as fast as possible, the connection needs to be as fast as possible, thus you need to adjust bandwidth based on your requirement. For more details about gateway workflow, please review this blog: http://www.fourmoo.com/2017/03/21/power-bi-gateway-infographic/ .

In addition, to connect to process Historian or Wonderware eDNA, you would need to contact Wonderware support to check if it has OData feed available or how to use its API to retrieve data, it is possible to connect straight to the OData feed from Power BI Desktop or use the web entry in Power BI desktop to connect to Wonderware API.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

The first two sections I am happy with.

For the 3rd I found that the Wonderware Historian can send data via OData.

The question I have if we link data to PBI Cloud and is dated for the last 24 hours if I update the same data set a day later will the previous day be lost or can we accumulate the data and keep the history?

Regards

Andre

@Andre-V,

In Power BI Service, it is not possible to store historical data. However, in Power BI Deskop, you can store historical data, for more details, please review the following thread.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Storing-and-using-information-from-a-dynamic-data-source-usi...

Regards,
Lydia

This is GREAT thanks for sharing, I will test it out

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors