Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Why am I getting an error when trying to use M query so that it retrieves my SharePoint list data?

I am trying to retrive data from my SharePoint lists:

Here is the link to my SharePoint list called 'Customers':

https://thebravanesesocietycouk-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jeilani_thebravanesesociety_co_uk/Lists/Customers?env=WebViewList

I was looking for a quick way to retrieve data from the SharePoint list which is what lead me to find Hoosier's M query for his SharePoint site:

let
sitename ="<your site>", // if a subsite use "Site/SubSite"
listname = "BigList",
baseurl = "https://<your SharePoint URL>/sites/" & sitename & "/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('" & listname & "')/",
itemcount = Json.Document(Web.Contents(baseurl&"ItemCount", [Headers=[Accept="application/json"]]))[value],
skiplist = List.Numbers(0, Number.RoundUp(itemcount/5000), 5000),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(skiplist, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Skip"}}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Skip", type text}}),
fieldselect = "&$top=5000", // all fields with no expansion
//fieldselect = "&$top=5000&$select = Id,Title,Person,Date", // list desired fields (no expansion)
//fieldselect = "&$top=5000&$select=Id,Title,Choice,LookupColumn/Title,LookupColumn/Project,LookupColumn/ProjectStatus,Date,Person/LastName,Person/FirstName,Person/EMail&$expand=LookupColumn,Person",
Custom1 = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Items", each Json.Document(Web.Contents(baseurl& "/items?$skipToken=Paged=TRUE%26p_ID=" & [Skip] & fieldselect, [Headers=[Accept="application/json"]]))),
#"Expanded Items" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Custom1, "Items", {"value"}, {"value"}),
#"Expanded value" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Items", "value")
in

#"Expanded value"

I watched the tutorial he gave on how to do it (which is in the later part of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsCB3kJrSkQ&ab_channel=HoosierBI

My problem is I can't seem to adjust this M query for my SharePoint list without getting a host of errors.

I used the adjusted the query into as follows:

let
sitename ="https://thebravanesesocietycouk-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jeilani_thebravanesesociety_co_uk/Lists/Customers?env=WebViewList", // if a subsite use "Site/SubSite"
listname = "Customers",
baseurl = "https://thebravanesesocietycouk-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jeilani_thebravanesesociety_co_uk/Lists/Customers?env=WebViewList/sites/" & sitename & "/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('" & listname & "')/",
itemcount = Json.Document(Web.Contents(baseurl&"ItemCount", [Headers=[Accept="application/json"]]))[value],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(skiplist, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Skip"}}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Skip", type text}}),
//fieldselect = "&$top=5000&$select = Id,Title,Person,Date", // list desired fields (no expansion)
//fieldselect = "&$top=5000&$select=Id,Title,Choice,LookupColumn/Title,LookupColumn/Project,LookupColumn/ProjectStatus,Date,Person/LastName,Person/FirstName,Person/EMail&$expand=LookupColumn,Person",
Custom1 = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Items", each Json.Document(Web.Contents(baseurl& "/items?$skipToken=Paged=TRUE%26p_ID=" & [Skip] & fieldselect, [Headers=[Accept="application/json"]]))),
#"Expanded Items" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Custom1, "Items", {"value"}, {"value"}),
in

#"Expanded value"

After I run the query, Power BI asks me to put in my credentials but when I enter my credentials which are correct it keeps saying:

"We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again"

It may be because I did not rewrite the query correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The problem was the M query. I adjusted the query and entered the same credentials as I tried to enter above and I was able to successfully query the list. Here is the M query that I used:

let
sitename ="jeilani_thebravanesesociety_co_uk", // if a subsite use "Site/SubSite"
listname = "Customers",
baseurl = "https://thebravanesesocietycouk-my.sharepoint.com/personal/" & sitename & "/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('" & listname & "')/",
in

#"Expanded value"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The problem was the M query. I adjusted the query and entered the same credentials as I tried to enter above and I was able to successfully query the list. Here is the M query that I used:

let
sitename ="jeilani_thebravanesesociety_co_uk", // if a subsite use "Site/SubSite"
listname = "Customers",
baseurl = "https://thebravanesesocietycouk-my.sharepoint.com/personal/" & sitename & "/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('" & listname & "')/",
in

#"Expanded value"

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

A problem I see frequently is people trying to connect to SharePoint using Windows credentials rather than Microsoft Account credentials. Be sure to use the latter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors