Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

storm-nhaab
Frequent Visitor

Web.Contents return application/octet-stream instead of application/json with 403

Hi,

I have written an M function that sends a post request to a API. I want to implement some error handling

when sending an incorrect parameter. When I do that the API should return a 403 status code

but for some reason the response that is returned from" Web.Contents()" is of the type "application/octet-stream" with a response that is "null", when it should be a JSON response with a 403 status code. 

headers = [#"Content-Type" = "application/json", #"Accept" = "application/json"],
response = Web.Contents(url, [
            Headers = headers,
            Content = postData
        ])

In Postman, Python, Curl etc. it works fine and the API returns the expected json package with the 403 error.

This is the meta data which is returned:

stormnhaab_0-1669969882339.png

I can catch the null response but that is not a nice solution. The proper 403 code should be handled. 
Has anybody else experienced this? 

Sincerely,

Nicolai

2 REPLIES 2
jdeaspe

Hey. I have same problem. Do you resolve it? Please let me know if you done it.

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @storm-nhaab - you could consider using the Web.Headers - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn function to grab the header only.   Here a recent Blog about the feature.  New Web.Headers M function | Microsoft Power Query

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors