Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bchager6
Super User
Super User

Unpivoting multiple columns

Hi everyone...

I'm looking for guidance on how to unpivot the below table so I end up with the Title column, then one each of the Platform Impacted, Vendor Used, and Vendor Spend columns.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist here.

bchager6_0-1644874419195.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can unpivot the non-Title columns,

AlexisOlson_0-1644936635614.png

split the attribute column into 1st/2nd and attribute

AlexisOlson_1-1644936668994.png

then pivot back

AlexisOlson_2-1644936707838.png

Here's the full sample query you can paste into the Advanced Editor of a new blank query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8ssvylTSUXLNS09MT81NzSsBchwjQoI8HYEMAz0DQyAVUJSZnJmXDpJxdnb1CwkNcoVJxupEK7mk5mSWpRaBTKkoSC3KTM1LTsWmFq8tsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Title = _t, #"1st Platform" = _t, #"1st Vendor" = _t, #"1st Spend" = _t, #"2nd Platform" = _t, #"2nd Vendor" = _t, #"2nd Spend" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Title"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Number", "Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Split Column by Delimiter", List.Distinct(#"Split Column by Delimiter"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=#table({"Title","Platform Impacted","Vendor Used","Venor Spend"},List.TransformMany(Table.ToRows(PreviousSeptName),each List.Split(List.Skip(_),3),(x,y)=>{x{0}}&y))

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I'm not quite sure I understand. Can you show what the desired result should look like?

@AlexisOlson  Thanks for taking a look.

I would like to transform this:

bchager6_0-1644886187579.png

To this:

bchager6_1-1644886227105.png

You can unpivot the non-Title columns,

AlexisOlson_0-1644936635614.png

split the attribute column into 1st/2nd and attribute

AlexisOlson_1-1644936668994.png

then pivot back

AlexisOlson_2-1644936707838.png

Here's the full sample query you can paste into the Advanced Editor of a new blank query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8ssvylTSUXLNS09MT81NzSsBchwjQoI8HYEMAz0DQyAVUJSZnJmXDpJxdnb1CwkNcoVJxupEK7mk5mSWpRaBTKkoSC3KTM1LTsWmFq8tsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Title = _t, #"1st Platform" = _t, #"1st Vendor" = _t, #"1st Spend" = _t, #"2nd Platform" = _t, #"2nd Vendor" = _t, #"2nd Spend" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Title"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Number", "Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Split Column by Delimiter", List.Distinct(#"Split Column by Delimiter"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

@AlexisOlson That is very helpful. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors