Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ramz45
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to import certain columns from SQL Server View

Hello All, Thank you for your time. I am trying to import data into Power BI from a SQL Server database view.

However, some of the columns in the view are not eventually loading in power bi. These columns don't even show in the data preview or query editor.  I am able to see the columns and data when I query the db table directly in SQL Server.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks Ram

7 REPLIES 7
JonGunnar
Frequent Visitor

I struggled with this, and it was just deleting the cache that made it for me.

In Power BI you will find the option under File > Options and settings > Options > Data Load > Data Cache Management Options > Clear Cache.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ramz45,

1. How do you connect to this SQL view from Power BI desktop, in DirectQuery mode or Import mode? Do missing columns have any different properties from other columns? 

2. Which permission do you grant for this user which is used to get data in Power BI desktop. Please try to grant the user "view definition" on the entire database with "use databasename; grant view definition to username" mentioned in this thread

3. Please run the latest Power BI desktop version 2.51.4885.701 64-bit (October 2017). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was trying to connect using Import Mode. However, I was able to pull in the data when explicitly writing a straightforward select statement(not direct query)  when importing instead of just connecting to the source and letting power bi pull in the information. I am not sure how one is different from the other. To the best of my knowlege the missing columns don't have anything special. I am querying a "View". In another example the table showed Zero records when importing, but displayed data when I used a SQL query.

Thanks again!

Hi @ramz45,

I have tested in my desktop but can't reproduce it. Have you tried other view? Does the issue happen to this specific view only? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks again for helping me. I faced the issue with 2 views so far. The first one with columns missing and the second one showed completely empty. Both times I was able to bypass the issue by explicity specifying the sql during import. I will investigate further to provide more information.

Hi @ramz45,

I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineer look into these two views to see what happens: 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Thank you sir. Much appreciated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors