Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to expand binary content

Hi,

Is there any other way to expand this content, because if i click on expand icon besides Content, then it is not working

Usinghal_0-1644478793254.png

8 REPLIES 8
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe you need to try combining.

combine-binaries_2a.png

Combine files (binaries) in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

right click on the column

select transform - text

serpiva64_0-1675246442003.png

and it opens

If this post isuseful to help you to solve your issue consider giving the post a thumbs up and accepting it as a solution !

Hi, once you have all the binary contents, rather than combining them all, I 'd like to crate separate tables for each binary row because in my SharePoint folder I have different tables with totally different contents, rows and columns. How to do that please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i tried above solution then getting below error

Usinghal_0-1644480373271.png

The code for this step looks like this:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows", {{"Content", Text.FromBinary}})

You can replace Text.FromBinary with the appropriate function like Excel.Workbook.

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Content", Excel.Workbook}})

Then it should return tables instead of garbled text.

that was what I needed, thanks

That's what you get opening a Binary

As you can see it is not a supported data type

Binary data type

The Binary data type can be used to represent any other data with a binary format. Inside the Power Query Editor, you can use it when loading binary files if you convert it to other data types before loading it to the Power BI model. Binary columns aren't supported in the Power BI data model. It exists in the Data View and Report View menus for legacy reasons but if you try to load binary columns to the Power BI model you may run into errors.

Note

If a binary column is in the output of the steps of a query, attempting to refresh the data through a gateway can cause errors. It's recommended that you explicitly remove any binary columns as the last step in your queries.

If you want to get the content of the file it depends on the type (excel, csv etc.)

Combining Binary files:
I know how to do it by adding a custom column for
csv files =Csv.Document([Content])
or
Excel files = Excel.Workbook([Content])
But, what about .txt files?
Is there a command that does the same as above"?
my reasoning:
I HATE those auto-created transformation files, and I like to keep certain columns to identify dates or original source, which the first to allow me to do, but the Combine button removes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors