Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jtomczyk
Helper I
Helper I

Text.Contains form another query/table

Hi,
I have a database in which I have service intervensions. I would need to assign those intervensions based on the key-words in the descritions. The tricky part is that recently we have implemented new codes in the descriptions, so those one should be handled in different way.

In query "ACCServiceCall" I have a column "CallDescription"

jtomczyk_0-1631016096579.jpeg

I need to create new column "Custom" based on the strings that are in that "CallDescription" column. 
I have creates such code that works.

if Text.Contains([CallDescription], "plc", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR01" else
(if Text.Contains([CallDescription], "visit", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR02" else

null))
(I have a list of 100 codes but to make it simple I have reduced that list to two only)

The problem starts here. I need to add a condition that for the strings that exist in another query "ServiceCodes", column "ServiceCode" (for example HR12, HR13...PR07, see below) shound result in new columnt as "New code exist" 

jtomczyk_1-1631016096586.jpeg

The code should looks something like below, where XXXXX is a part of the code that I do not know...

if Text.Contains([CallDescription], XXXXX, Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "New code exist" else
if Text.Contains([CallDescription], "plc", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR01" else
(if Text.Contains([CallDescription], "visit", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR02" else

null))

The final result should looks like that

jtomczyk_2-1631016096587.jpeg

Thanks for helping me to solve that problem.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @jtomczyk ,

Try this as the first evaluation line:

= Table.AddColumn(previousStep, "yourNewColumnName", each if
  List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
      ServiceCodes[ServiceCode],
      (x) => Text.Contains([CallDescription], x)
    )
  ) then "New Code Exists" else CONTINUE YOUR OTHER EVALUATIONS

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

@jtomczyk ,

1) Yes, M code is entirely case-sensitive. This is a question of error-handling. It depends on where the upper/lower case versions occur, and whether they are ALWAYS upper/lower case in each source. One option might be to select your fields where the value might be a different case and transform the text to all upper case via Transform Tab > Format > UPPERCASE/lowercase. You could also write this into your code, but I think you'd take a hit on performance as you'd need to essentially evaluate at least twice, once for upper case, once for lower.

2) This gets a bit more complicated, but not too much more. In the interest of getting you a quick answer I've put together the following code. However, it's worth noting that this calls the evaluation custom function twice, so may not be the most performant solution possible:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "CallDescription", each if
List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
        (x) => Text.Contains([Call Description], x)
    )
)
then
try ServiceCodes{
	List.PositionOf(
		List.Transform(
		),
		true
	)
} [ServiceCode] otherwise null
else if
Text.Contains([Call Description], "color change", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR01" else 

For completeness, here's updated test code for my second query previously provided:

//Test code to replace previous provided, equivalent to your ACCServiceCall query
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKijKTy9KzFVIVAgpLcpOrVSK1UEIJmETTFYIzcssSU1R8M7MS0/Jz0WRTFEISCwoTVTwSy1XcC/NzEtNRJFOhekNLkksSS1GkUtT8CxJzEG1Kx2P+gwsVsUCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [program = _t]),
    addFindWord = Table.AddColumn(Source, "findWord", each if
List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
        countryTable[country],
        (x) => Text.Contains([program], x)
    )
)
then
try countryTable{
    List.PositionOf(
        List.Transform(
            countryTable[country],
        ),
        true
    )
} [country] otherwise null
else if
Text.Contains([program], "United") then "Contains United" else null)
in
    addFindWord

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jtomczyk
Helper I
Helper I

you're a genius!

Lol, thanks 🙂

FYI, you can also mark my second answer post as a solution if you feel it solved a different problem to the original post.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @jtomczyk ,

Try this as the first evaluation line:

= Table.AddColumn(previousStep, "yourNewColumnName", each if
  List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
    )
  ) then "New Code Exists" else CONTINUE YOUR OTHER EVALUATIONS

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for your prompt response.
Unfortunetly I got errors everywhere without indicating what is the root cause.

List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
    )
  ) then "New Code Exists" else
(if Text.Contains([Call Description], "color change", 		Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR01" else 

jtomczyk_0-1631085075180.png

regards

JT

@jtomczyk ,

The first thing to do is to ensure you are adding this new column into your ACCServiceCall table where the original [CallDescription] field is. The fact that Power Query allowed you to add a new column called [CallDescription] tells me that you're trying to add this new column into a table that doesn't already include such a field. If so, my code isn't going to work.

The next thing to do is to call your new column something else. In your example, you've called it [CallDescription]. The code I provided actually references a column called [CallDescription] as I thought that was where the text was that you wanted to match against your ServiceCodes table. This is creating a circular reference.

If you still get an error after the above changes, then select one of the cells that has 'Error' in it. Don't click the actual word, just select the cell and the error text will appear at the bottom of your preview window. See if this tells you what the issue is. If you're not sure, post a screenshot of the error message here and I'll have a look for you.

My code definitely works when implemented as designed. Here's my test code that you can use to check against your setup if it helps:

//Call this query 'countryTable'. This is the equivalent of your ServiceCodes query
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCiktyk6tVIrViVYKzcssSU1RCC5JLEktVoqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [country = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"country", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
//This query is the equivalent of your ACCServiceCall query with the original [CallDescription] field in it
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKijKTy9KzFVIVAgpLcpOrVSK1UEIJmETTFYIzcssSU1R8M7MS0/Jz0WRTFEISCwoTVTwSy1XcC/NzEtNRJFOhekNLkksSS1GkUtT8CxJzEG1Kx2P+gwsVsUCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [program = _t]),
List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
        countryTable[country],
    )
) then "TEXT" else if
in
    addFindWord

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Pete,

you were correct.! Small modification of the code helped. The existing colum was "Call Description" 

List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
    )
  ) then "New Code Exists" else
(if Text.Contains([Call Description], "color change", 		Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR01" else 

There are two other problems.

1. I noticed that the code is case-sensitive.
for example in the database it is written "hr01" and in another query "ServiceCodes", column "ServiceCode" we have "HR01". As a result the code do not recognize it as "New Code Exist"

What should I add to above code so it is not case-sensitive?
2. What should be the code if we want to have the code from the table instead of "New Code Exist"?

@jtomczyk ,

1) Yes, M code is entirely case-sensitive. This is a question of error-handling. It depends on where the upper/lower case versions occur, and whether they are ALWAYS upper/lower case in each source. One option might be to select your fields where the value might be a different case and transform the text to all upper case via Transform Tab > Format > UPPERCASE/lowercase. You could also write this into your code, but I think you'd take a hit on performance as you'd need to essentially evaluate at least twice, once for upper case, once for lower.

2) This gets a bit more complicated, but not too much more. In the interest of getting you a quick answer I've put together the following code. However, it's worth noting that this calls the evaluation custom function twice, so may not be the most performant solution possible:

List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
    )
)
then
try ServiceCodes{
	List.PositionOf(
		List.Transform(
		),
		true
	)
} [ServiceCode] otherwise null
else if
Text.Contains([Call Description], "color change", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)= true then "HR01" else 

For completeness, here's updated test code for my second query previously provided:

//Test code to replace previous provided, equivalent to your ACCServiceCall query
let
List.AnyTrue(
    List.Transform(
        countryTable[country],
    )
)
then
try countryTable{
    List.PositionOf(
        List.Transform(
            countryTable[country],
        ),
        true
    )
} [country] otherwise null
else if
in
    addFindWord

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors