Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mikelsoft

Table.Combine with Postgre (PowerQueryM) - Results in Error

Hi,

since the first days in October my "power query m" query doesn't work any more.

What I figured out until now:

- I do 2 queries with postgre in the PowerQuery Editor

When I try to combine them Table.Combine({xx,xx}) it never completes.

- latest Version Oktober 2023

- Win 11

- problem since 05.10.2023

Has anyone the same problem?

Thanks for your support

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
Mikelsoft

Hi,

yes the problem is there, even if its only a simple request wirh postgres. 

all the queries before are working fine. Only combining does not work. 

where can I submit the bug to Microsoft? The support center had no address for me!

thanks

mike

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

1. Check for Power BI Updates: First, ensure that you have the latest updates for Power BI Desktop. Sometimes, issues like this can be resolved with a software update that addresses known bugs or compatibility issues.

2. Review Your Queries: Examine both Postgre queries separately and ensure they are working correctly. If there are any issues with individual queries, they may prevent successful combination.

3. Connection Issues: Confirm that your connection to the Postgre database is stable and not experiencing any connection errors. Sometimes, connectivity issues can cause queries to fail.

4. Data Volume: Large datasets can lead to performance issues when combining tables. If your tables are very large, it might be a factor.

5. Refresh Settings: Check the refresh settings in Power BI Desktop. Ensure that you are not encountering any issues with data refresh, such as timeouts or errors.

6. Resource Limitations: Check your system's resource usage during the query combination. If your system resources (CPU, RAM) are being heavily used, it could cause slow or incomplete queries.

7. Error Messages: Look for specific error messages in Power Query or Power BI Desktop. These messages can often provide clues about what's going wrong. You can check the Query Dependencies and Errors pane in Power Query.

8. Logs and Diagnostics: Use the Power Query diagnostic tools to gather more information about the issue. You can enable diagnostic tracing to capture additional details about what's happening during query execution.

9. Isolation: If the issue persists, try combining simpler tables or queries to isolate the problem. This can help you identify if the issue is related to the specific tables or queries you are trying to combine.

10. Community Support: Check the Power BI community forums or the official Microsoft support resources. Others may have encountered a similar issue, and there might be solutions or workarounds available.

If the issue continues, it's a good idea to reach out to Microsoft support for specific assistance, especially if this appears to be a bug in the software. They may be able to provide more targeted guidance or fixes for the problem. Remember to provide as much detail as possible about your setup and the issue you're encountering when seeking support.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Hi,

thanks. 
the query worked before october. 
the single queriea are working fine. Only when i combine them, it doesn't work any more. 
i redid the queries with very simple ones - it doen't work either. 

does anybody else having issues with that. 

thanks

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

If the issue is occurring even with very simple PostgreSQL queries and combining them, and you are certain that the individual queries are working fine, it's possible that there might be a compatibility issue or a bug with the specific version of Power Query that you are using.

To address this issue:

1. Check for Updates: Ensure that you have the latest updates for Power Query. Sometimes, software updates include bug fixes and compatibility improvements. Check if there are any recent updates available and install them.

2. Community Forums: You can also try searching Microsoft Power Query or PostgreSQL community forums or support channels to see if others are reporting similar issues. If there is a known issue, you might find relevant information or workarounds.

3. Rollback: If the issue started happening after a specific update, you might consider rolling back to a previous version of Power Query until the issue is resolved. However, this should be done with caution.

4. Report the Issue: If you cannot find a solution through forums or support channels, consider reporting the issue to Microsoft as a bug or compatibility problem. They may provide guidance or release a fix in a future update.

5. Workaround: As a temporary workaround, you might need to find an alternative method for combining your data. This could involve using a different tool or technique to merge the results of your PostgreSQL queries, such as using Excel's built-in features, if applicable.

If the problem is widespread, it's possible that Microsoft or the PostgreSQL community will address it in a future update. Until then, keep an eye on updates and community discussions to stay informed about potential solutions or workarounds.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Hi @Mikelsoft ,

1.  Since you’re doing 2 queries with PostgreSQL in the PowerQuery Editor, make sure that both queries are returning the expected results before trying to combine them.

vcgaomsft_0-1698197780658.png

2. Try to set the query opinion with ignore the privacy levels and potentially improve performance.
If this does not work, you may change the database privacy level to Public or None.
Understand Power BI Desktop privacy levels - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors