Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

thassan77
Frequent Visitor

Replace value based on Conditions from multiple columns

Hello, I am new to Power Query.

I have a table where I want to replace values of a column based on the conditions or values from Multiple columns.

I.e. If ColumnA="CVL" or "PVL" and ColumnB= "Retailer" then change the value in ColumnC to "Consumer" else reamin as it is. 

Please suggest how to do it or M code for this condition.

Appreciate your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@thassan77 ,
In Power Query go to option Add Column > Custom Column and add formula like this:
New Column =
if [Store Id] = 1 and [Item Id] = 1 then 1 else
if [Store Id] = 2 and [Item Id] = 2 then 2 else
if [Store Id] = 3 and [Item Id] = 3 then 3 else 0

You can have as many rules as you want and you can also and OR statement instead of AND. So everything allowed.
If you do not have combinations of rules (using multiple columns for one rule) you can choose option Add Column > Conditional Column and easy interface will guide you through the process.

View solution in original post

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thassan77 , 

You could try below M code 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQoJARKBSrE60UpOQJa7O5AIB3OdgSw3NyDhCua6AFkeHnDFcL3hcL1gLlBxLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}}),
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type", each [Column3], each if ([Column1]="A" or [Column1]="B") and [Column2]="TT" then "change" else [Column3], Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"Column3"})
in
    Custom1

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Seems like an if then else with https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/text-replace

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@thassan77 ,
In Power Query go to option Add Column > Custom Column and add formula like this:
New Column =
if [Store Id] = 1 and [Item Id] = 1 then 1 else
if [Store Id] = 2 and [Item Id] = 2 then 2 else
if [Store Id] = 3 and [Item Id] = 3 then 3 else 0

You can have as many rules as you want and you can also and OR statement instead of AND. So everything allowed.
If you do not have combinations of rules (using multiple columns for one rule) you can choose option Add Column > Conditional Column and easy interface will guide you through the process.

Hi Greg

Thanks for the input. Is it possible to create a custom column and replace the value based on the conditions? or Do I need to replace values on the same column while meeting those conditions?

thanks.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thassan77 , 

You could try below M code 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQoJARKBSrE60UpOQJa7O5AIB3OdgSw3NyDhCua6AFkeHnDFcL3hcL1gLlBxLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}}),
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type", each [Column3], each if ([Column1]="A" or [Column1]="B") and [Column2]="TT" then "change" else [Column3], Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"Column3"})
in
    Custom1

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors