Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JBelcher

Replace Invalid Values in a List

I have a column with a long list of values.  There are only a 7 valid values, but due to typos there are dozens of values in that list.  I'd like to make it so that only the 7 valid values are kept in the list, and all other values are replaced with "Invalid".   I can't seem to find an easy way to do this.  The best I've come up with is to make a new column and use Switch to "switch" valid values with valid values, and change everything else to "Invalid", but I'd really like to just fix the original column.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JBelcher ,

Is your problem solved?? If so, Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JBelcher ,

Has your problem been solved by @tackytechtom's suggestion? You can also use Table.TransformColumns function. 

I create a sample.

vkalyjmsft_0-1655258294863.png

If you want to replace the rows starts with 0 to Invalid, you can directly add a new line in the advanced editor.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMjACU8YQjolSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    New=Table.TransformColumns(Source,{"Column1",each if Text.StartsWith(_,"0")then"Invalid"else _})
in
    New

Get the result.

vkalyjmsft_1-1655259073140.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @JBelcher ,

Does this one help you here?

Let me know! 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors