Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andrew__K
Frequent Visitor

Remove duplicate row, as well as row that was duplicated.

Our labelling software generates a transaction report that represents each label generated, I pull data from this report using PowerQuery. Each row is an individual label or transaction.

When an error is made during the labelling process and the operator deletes/reverses that label, the transaction report shows it as a normal transaction with a 1 in a Transaction Type (Trx Type) column, followed by another row with the same information, but has a -1 as the transaction type to represent the deleted label.

Is there any way I can remove both these rows in my query? I know I can filter -1 Trx Types, but this leaves the original transaction in place. These is also a serial column for each transaction, these match on the -1 and 1 rows, so could potentially be used? Below is an example of the report.

Date Product PPN Description Prod Date SerialTrx Type
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700011
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700021
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700031
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700041
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700051
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700061
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700071
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700081
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700091
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700101
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700111
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL (*Deleted*)2/11/202370011-1
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700121
4/12/202310751PRODUCT LABEL2/11/2023700131

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
adudani
Super User
Super User

HI @Andrew__K ,

Steps taken:

1. Unique Row Identifier: Combination of all columns delimeted by "|" in the Table Query (Your input)

2. Created a new query (RowsToRemove) referencing this

3. Grouped this query by Serial along with a summarized table of all rows and a count of all distinct rows. If distinct count > 1 then there are duplicates.

4. Filtered for rows >1 . Expanded the table.

5. Merged Table and Rows to delete as a new query on the unique identifier (Output - shown below). The rows which don't have a unique idenitifer are the rows which didn't have any duplicates in the raw data and are retained.

adudani_0-1701667600310.png

Copy and paste the following queries in the advanced editor of a blank query:

Table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("pdKxDoIwEAbgV7l0UoKhV0B0VOtGlChODQOBDiRESK2Jvr1tIqOD3NY/93+XDqcUk7XVLGRQmKF9NhaK4gQuS/1oTDfabrj76KcwVa/adHXvXqV5QfkeNatCxZIIRSS4iN0AeZaiZ5ezvB1KyHf7Y+6yiBCnTsY59x2crQVJxySdkHRK0muSzkh6Q9JbikZO0n/cGiwCqXttdRssf2xazf8I6Wzxe7bVBw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t, #"(blank).3" = _t, #"(blank).4" = _t, #"(blank).5" = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {" Product PPN ", Int64.Type}, {"Description ", type text}, {"Prod Date", type date}, {" Serial", Int64.Type}, {"Trx Type", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unique Row Identifier" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Unique Row Identifier", each Text.Combine({Text.From([Date], "en-CA"), Text.From([#" Product PPN "], "en-CA"), [#"Description "], Text.From([Prod Date], "en-CA"), Text.From([#" Serial"], "en-CA"), Text.From([Trx Type], "en-CA")}, "|"), type text)
in
    #"Unique Row Identifier"

RowstoRemove:

let
    Source = Table,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {" Serial"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [Date=nullable date, #" Product PPN "=nullable number, #"Description "=nullable text, Prod Date=nullable date, #" Serial"=nullable number, Trx Type=nullable number, Unique Row Identifier=text]}, {"Distinct Row Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_)), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Grouped Rows", each ([Distinct Row Count] = 2)),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Data"}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Data", {"Date", " Product PPN ", "Description ", "Prod Date", " Serial", "Trx Type", "Unique Row Identifier"}, {"Date", " Product PPN ", "Description ", "Prod Date", " Serial", "Trx Type", "Unique Row Identifier"})
in
    #"Expanded Data"

Output:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table, {"Unique Row Identifier"}, RowsToRemove, {"Unique Row Identifier"}, "RowsToRemove", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded RowsToRemove" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "RowsToRemove", {"Unique Row Identifier"}, {"Unique Row Identifier.1"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded RowsToRemove", each ([Unique Row Identifier.1] = null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!
If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a Kudos 🙂
Kind Regards,
Avinash

View solution in original post

thank you! Using your suggestions as well as others, I ended up grouping a merge of PPN-DATE-SERIAL with a row count and all rows column, filtering >1 on the row count and then expanding the all rows column. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Easier to just Table.ReplaceValue "-" with "", then Keep Duplicates, then Table.Join the step with the duplicates to the last step, using JoinKind.LeftAnti. So

RemoveValue = Table.ReplaceValue(PriorStepOrTableName, //whatever the code is to replace "-" with "" in the Serial Column,

KeepDups = //Use the Keep Duplicates GUI function,

RenameSerial = //Rename Serial to Serial1,

DeleteDups = TableJoin(KeepDups,, {"Serial"},  RenameSerial, {"Serial1}, JoinKind.LeftAnti)

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hello, @Andrew__K 

s = your_table,
    deleted = List.Buffer(Table.SelectRows(s, each [Trx Type] = - 1)[Serial]),
    filtered = Table.SelectRows(s, each not List.Contains(deleted, [Serial]))
spinfuzer
Super User
Super User

Hi @Andrew__K ,

You could add a custom column "neg Trx Type" and multiply Trx Type by -1.

Next do a self left anti join on Serial and Neg Trx Type against Serial and Trx Type  to remove offsetting rows.

spinfuzer_0-1701671115950.png

adudani
Super User
Super User

HI @Andrew__K ,

Steps taken:

1. Unique Row Identifier: Combination of all columns delimeted by "|" in the Table Query (Your input)

2. Created a new query (RowsToRemove) referencing this

3. Grouped this query by Serial along with a summarized table of all rows and a count of all distinct rows. If distinct count > 1 then there are duplicates.

4. Filtered for rows >1 . Expanded the table.

5. Merged Table and Rows to delete as a new query on the unique identifier (Output - shown below). The rows which don't have a unique idenitifer are the rows which didn't have any duplicates in the raw data and are retained.

adudani_0-1701667600310.png

Copy and paste the following queries in the advanced editor of a blank query:

Table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("pdKxDoIwEAbgV7l0UoKhV0B0VOtGlChODQOBDiRESK2Jvr1tIqOD3NY/93+XDqcUk7XVLGRQmKF9NhaK4gQuS/1oTDfabrj76KcwVa/adHXvXqV5QfkeNatCxZIIRSS4iN0AeZaiZ5ezvB1KyHf7Y+6yiBCnTsY59x2crQVJxySdkHRK0muSzkh6Q9JbikZO0n/cGiwCqXttdRssf2xazf8I6Wzxe7bVBw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t, #"(blank).3" = _t, #"(blank).4" = _t, #"(blank).5" = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {" Product PPN ", Int64.Type}, {"Description ", type text}, {"Prod Date", type date}, {" Serial", Int64.Type}, {"Trx Type", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unique Row Identifier" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Unique Row Identifier", each Text.Combine({Text.From([Date], "en-CA"), Text.From([#" Product PPN "], "en-CA"), [#"Description "], Text.From([Prod Date], "en-CA"), Text.From([#" Serial"], "en-CA"), Text.From([Trx Type], "en-CA")}, "|"), type text)
in
    #"Unique Row Identifier"

RowstoRemove:

let
    Source = Table,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {" Serial"}, {{"Data", each _, type table [Date=nullable date, #" Product PPN "=nullable number, #"Description "=nullable text, Prod Date=nullable date, #" Serial"=nullable number, Trx Type=nullable number, Unique Row Identifier=text]}, {"Distinct Row Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_)), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Grouped Rows", each ([Distinct Row Count] = 2)),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Data"}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Data", {"Date", " Product PPN ", "Description ", "Prod Date", " Serial", "Trx Type", "Unique Row Identifier"}, {"Date", " Product PPN ", "Description ", "Prod Date", " Serial", "Trx Type", "Unique Row Identifier"})
in
    #"Expanded Data"

Output:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table, {"Unique Row Identifier"}, RowsToRemove, {"Unique Row Identifier"}, "RowsToRemove", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded RowsToRemove" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "RowsToRemove", {"Unique Row Identifier"}, {"Unique Row Identifier.1"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded RowsToRemove", each ([Unique Row Identifier.1] = null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!
If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a Kudos 🙂
Kind Regards,
Avinash

thank you! Using your suggestions as well as others, I ended up grouping a merge of PPN-DATE-SERIAL with a row count and all rows column, filtering >1 on the row count and then expanding the all rows column. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors