Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ttseng
Helper III
Helper III

Power Query expression error - how to locate excel file causing error

Hi,

I have a function that extracts data from excel files stored in a OneDrive folder. It was working great, but have been getting an expression error and am unable to find the source excel file that's causing the error. I am querying and extracting from thousands of files. 

This is the error I'm getting:

error 1.png

error 2.png

How do I trace the error to figure out what file is causing the error?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @ttseng 

this depends all how your query is structured. If you are reading thousands of files, then you have probably a table of all files where you are applying a custom function to extract the data. You can go to see this step and see witch file produces this error. You could also go to the function and add some errorhandling (example instead of giving back a table you can give back information about the file in table format) that you are able to identify the error easier

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Right click on the query and select edit.

It is likely that the column that is throwing the error has been deleted. The step throwing the error will refer to this column, it could be deleting it or changing the type.

Click through the applied steps on the right from the first and it should say be able to notice the error first happens.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors