Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Power Query delete row if value found in another column

Hi, I’m very new to power query but just can’t find a suitable solution. I need to remove a row if the same value exists in another column. I know I need a conditional statement then a filter but just don’t know how to put it all together. So if ID B exists in ID A remove the corresponding ID A row.

ID A.    ID B

4         1

5         3

so here the first and third row in ID A would be removed. I would want to keep the row where the value is duplicated in ID B

thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Try this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUVKK1YlWMoIxjGEMEyDDEMwyBbKMlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"ID A" = _t, #"ID B" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID A", Int64.Type}, {"ID B", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"ID A"}, #"Changed Type", {"ID B"}, "Changed Type", JoinKind.LeftAnti),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Changed Type"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Input:

sevenhills_0-1702420174792.png

Output:

sevenhills_1-1702420195456.png

Explanation:

You are joining back to the same table you are in and do the left anti.

sevenhills_2-1702420263228.png

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

=Table.SelectRows(YourTable,each not List.Contains(YourTable[ID B],[ID A]))

Thanks - I'm still getting my head around all the functions available so good to know some new ones.

sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Try this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUVKK1YlWMoIxjGEMEyDDEMwyBbKMlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"ID A" = _t, #"ID B" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID A", Int64.Type}, {"ID B", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"ID A"}, #"Changed Type", {"ID B"}, "Changed Type", JoinKind.LeftAnti),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Changed Type"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Input:

sevenhills_0-1702420174792.png

Output:

sevenhills_1-1702420195456.png

Explanation:

You are joining back to the same table you are in and do the left anti.

sevenhills_2-1702420263228.png

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I appreciate you explaining the logic behind it. Really useful.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors