Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nakor84

Power Query - Sharepoint Folder - Combining Multiple Workbooks - Need Column with File Names

Hi All,

Long-time reader first-time poster. 

Question

In short, how do I create a column that lists a row's corresponding filename when combining multiple workbooks from a SharePoint folder?

Background

I am sourcing multiple workbooks (raw reports) from a SharePoint folder. Annoyingly the reports do not have dates included in the data. However, I need a date to be included.

To get around the issue of no date, all the reports have been named with their corresponding date.

In the past using a local folder or a synced one drive folder I have been able to use the transform file name into text and then date when I and transforming and combining the data. However, when I have done this in the past I ultimately run into data source issues.  This project needs to be portable and not run into these issues. Thus, I have been trying the SharePoint folder option.

Steps Taken So Far

1. Loaded my SharePoint folder URL

2. Filtered the Folder Path to correct folder

3. (STUCK) Combined Files - no "Name" column once combined

I have tried multiple things to no avail and have searched for solutions but can't seem to find anything. The Closet thing I came to was here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Retain-file-name-in-a-column-when-using-Sharepoint-Folder-a... but the answer didn't provide me with much clarity. I also tried to retrofit the answer supplied here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Retain-file-name-column-when-using-Folder-as-a-data-source-... & https://youtu.be/LPC3aPyi5BE 

Any help would be super appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nakor84 ,

Are you using the folder source 'Transform and Load' function? If you are, then there will be a step in your output query called 'Invoke Custom Function' or similar. Click on this step and you should see your source file names, something like this:

BA_Pete_0-1646826832136.png

Extract the date from the filename at this point, then this date will be duplicated over all relevant rows when the binary tables are expanded in a later step.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Yes, sometimes (gui button click,) it hides it, when you click combine & transform.

Launch Power Query Editor. click the query where it transformed, click advanced editor (under home tab), adjust one line ... "Name" (or) "Source.Name" , depends on your previous line you can add as below:

#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),

Lines of the context, what I am talking about ...

#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

You can do the same using Query Applied steps, either way the same:

sevenhills_0-1646848776481.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Nakor84

Thanks Pete and Sevenhills, I appreciate the assist! Both of your solutions got me there 😊

sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Yes, sometimes (gui button click,) it hides it, when you click combine & transform.

Launch Power Query Editor. click the query where it transformed, click advanced editor (under home tab), adjust one line ... "Name" (or) "Source.Name" , depends on your previous line you can add as below:

Lines of the context, what I am talking about ...

#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File", each #"Transform File"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

You can do the same using Query Applied steps, either way the same:

sevenhills_0-1646848776481.png

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nakor84 ,

Are you using the folder source 'Transform and Load' function? If you are, then there will be a step in your output query called 'Invoke Custom Function' or similar. Click on this step and you should see your source file names, something like this:

BA_Pete_0-1646826832136.png

Extract the date from the filename at this point, then this date will be duplicated over all relevant rows when the binary tables are expanded in a later step.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors