Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Freeze on Refresh

Hi all,

Using Excel 365.

I created a connection to a file on a network share

I create a query that references the connection.

The query is very slow and eventually Excel locks up and I have to Exit and come back in.

What can I do to speed things up?

let
    Source = SOV_Workbook,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Supplier_PO_Key", each [Supplier]&Number.ToText([#"PO#"])),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Supplier_PO_Key", "Division", "Region", "Project", "Supplier", "PO#", "WBS", "GL"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Supplier", Order.Ascending}, {"PO#", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows", each ([Division] = "Education" or [Division] = "Seniors"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Thanks,

-w

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Since there weren't any error messages, time out may occurred.

If there are advanced operations(e.g merge, append, reference other steps, invoke custom functions...) with large data, they will cause the looping calculation and duplicate cost on memory resource, You can refer to following:

Referenced Queries And Caching In Power BI And Power Query

How and When to use List & Table Buffer?

You can also try to increase the cache limits.

1. Click Settings->Options->Global->Data Load to expose the "Data Cache Management Options".

2. Try increasing the Maximum allowed (MB):to 16000 (or about double what the current setting is)

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Since there weren't any error messages, time out may occurred.

If there are advanced operations(e.g merge, append, reference other steps, invoke custom functions...) with large data, they will cause the looping calculation and duplicate cost on memory resource, You can refer to following:

Referenced Queries And Caching In Power BI And Power Query

How and When to use List & Table Buffer?

You can also try to increase the cache limits.

1. Click Settings->Options->Global->Data Load to expose the "Data Cache Management Options".

2. Try increasing the Maximum allowed (MB):to 16000 (or about double what the current setting is)

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You should filter before you sort. Sorting brings the whole unfiltered table into memory. Just move the Division filter to before the sort. 

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Nate,
I moved the FIlter up.
Excel is still taking too long/freezing.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

-w

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors