Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Performance Issues when loading excel files from folder and when doing steps in queries

Hey people,
I am facing performance issues in the power query and when refreshing the data.

My story is as follows:
1. I have placed 3 excel files in a folder a google drive and have used a folder query to get the files. (I cannot change them to CSV files)
2. I am constructed the data on power query to have on simple main table that has 6 columns and 3 rows, for the time being.
3. I have a main query where all the data cleansing is happening and I am referencing 6 times to get different queries where I am cleansing the data once more, specifically different for each query. At the end of these queries, I am referencing the simple main table to get the main information.
4. The data is not huge, all the rows in all queries might amount to 2000 rows for the time being.

Problem:
1. It is taking ages whenever I add a new step and whenever I refresh the data.

How can I make the it faster?

I have searched intensively on this topic. I cannot change the excel files to CSV. I have seen the option of using Table.Buffer but I do not know if it will work in my case and where to position in properly.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

1 REPLY 1
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Hard to give any specific advice without seeing your queries and source files - can you share please?

You can check out some general tips to speed things up:

https://www.thebiccountant.com/speedperformance-aspects/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/power-query-background-refresh

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.

If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors