Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PQ Returns "Null" Rows from Dataverse Table '[Note], Column 'DocumentBody' containing Base64

Hi, I have PowerApps exported the built-in Table [Note] to CSV and can render the Column 'DocumentBody' Base64 Text to an Image.

However when I connect to Dataverse [Note] using Power Query the Column 'DocumentBody' = "Null" on every Row.

The 'DocumentBody' Rows do not contain large files <1mb

Im new to all this, whats going on? How do I get to the base64 Row data within Power Query?

Thanks

Jonathan

Screenshot 2022-05-04 222301.jpgScreenshot 2022-05-04 222513.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
mit579

Hi Jonathan - 

Did you managed to solve this, we are also facing the same issue

After some deliberation MS confirmed it is by Design (doesnt work).
Its been a while since I was here, Dataverse now includes FILE and IMAGE Types, including in Teams, which function reasonably well, so recommend this path and avoid the Builtin Tables.

Thanks Jonathan but Dynamics uses this table internally and store images in documentbody colum. How to manage this?

Hi Jing,

"Text Area" is the data type.

Power Bi Desktop / CDS / Dataverse / DefaultOrg.Dymamics.com / [annotation]

1) Import Mode

Result:

Screenshot 2022-05-09 093244.png

2) Query Mode

Result:

Screenshot 2022-05-09 094844.png

3) Power Bi ONLINE / New Dataset / Dataflow / Define New Tables / Dataverse / DefaultOrg.dynamics.com / [annotation]

Result:

Screenshot 2022-05-09 100006.png

Thus from every direction, PowerQuery is unable to return the row values from Builtin (Microsoft Managed) Table [annotation] column 'documentbody'

However, Power PLATFORM is able to export to csv the values (see previous screenshot) and I am able to render the base64 string to an IMAGE. So the data is there an usable, just not through PowerQuery.

Thanks

Jonathan

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JonathanDavey1 

What is the data source? Which connector do you use to connect to the data source? Which connection mode is it, Import or DirectQuery? Which data type is this 'DocumentBody' column in the built-in table in the data source? 

The Text column has a 32766 character limit which may influence the rendering affect of large images. But it seems not the cause as your data is not loaded at present. 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/05/19/storing-large-images-in-power-bi-datasets/ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

@v-jingzhang any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors