Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrBobby

POWERPIVOT Question - How does one Redirect the source of a PowerPivot to a new t able?

Simple question but have not found an answer. We have a SQL table, lets call it TblOld. It has 15M rows. We have a powerpivot conencted to it in RpeortOld.xlsb. Everything works great.

We have a copy of tblOld called tblNew. It has the same columns and rows. We are populating this sql table by a different means than tblOld. This is work in progress.

I opened and saved ReportOld as ReportNew.xlsb. Now I want to re-point the powerpivot to: tblNew.  In other words I'd prefer not to rebuild the existing powerpivot but rather just repoint it to a new table.

I have tried a variety of things---no success.

Can someone outline how to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MrBobby

All, I am back from a few days away. FYI The above post just lets me change data bases not tables.

I DID find a solution.  
1) Be sure your IT dept does not downgrade you to an OFFICE 32 bit install and not tell you. (LOL)

2) When they do , have them reinstall OFFICE 64 bit!

Now I can repoint the table in this manner without getting weird errors. Is there a better way, you tell me?

Under Table properties, pick a new source name in the drop down. The drops shows all tables in the db...

MrBobby_3-1680636518505.png

That seems to now work. The data refreshes. Close the Window. The Manage table tab name retains the ORIGINAL table name, but the actual table used (just selected) can now be seen under: Edit Table Properties and now shows the new table and sure enought it refreshed correctly --I check the number of rows returned........AND...my pivots are maintained.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MrBobby

All, I am back from a few days away. FYI The above post just lets me change data bases not tables.

I DID find a solution.  
1) Be sure your IT dept does not downgrade you to an OFFICE 32 bit install and not tell you. (LOL)

2) When they do , have them reinstall OFFICE 64 bit!

Now I can repoint the table in this manner without getting weird errors. Is there a better way, you tell me?

Under Table properties, pick a new source name in the drop down. The drops shows all tables in the db...

MrBobby_3-1680636518505.png

That seems to now work. The data refreshes. Close the Window. The Manage table tab name retains the ORIGINAL table name, but the actual table used (just selected) can now be seen under: Edit Table Properties and now shows the new table and sure enought it refreshed correctly --I check the number of rows returned........AND...my pivots are maintained.

MrBobby

That is the issue. The screen you descibe ONLY lets you point to ANOTHER database. I want to point to ANOTHER TABLE in the SAME data base.

To point to a different table you can go into Power Query and just update the source table.

jennratten_0-1680191543448.png

I will poke around..I have never used PowerQuery.

Hmmm..where do I find that.  Right Now I just click PowerPivot then Manage. Isee this:

MrBobby_1-1680204105209.png

MrBobby_0-1680204063539.png

Once here, Existing connections allows me to EDIT the connection but ONLY point to a new database..not a new table in the existing data base.

If I got to the Design tab and click: Table Properties:

MrBobby_2-1680204230386.png

It looks like I can pick a new table...

MrBobby_3-1680204335977.png

BUT... After it brings the data up to preview...which is fast I only have 50 rows in the table at the moment...I get this bogus error:

MrBobby_4-1680204573570.png

I know there is no memeory issue.. the real table has 15M rows and refreshes without issue. I am trying to repoint to a table with 50 rows!

So apprently this is not where one should go to repoint a table...the thing is..I am pretty sure this is how I did it a year or more ago!...I can not be 100% sure..perhaps the software also changed.

What is the reccomended way to repoint?

On the Excel ribbon, go to Data > Queries and Connections.  The Queries and Connections pane will appear with your queries and connections displayed.  You can right-click on them and then choose Edit.  That will open a new window with the Query Editor (aka Power Query).

jennratten_1-1680208744008.png

My version of excel does not offer the Edit capability:

MrBobby_0-1680636211388.png

It does have properties but nothing to re-point a table:

MrBobby_1-1680636270884.png

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - you shoul be able to just change the data source.  

Follow these steps:

1. In the Power Pivot window, click Home > Connections > Existing Connections.

2. Select the current database connection and click Edit.

Edit the connection to select another database.Click Save > Close.

3. Click Home > Get External Data > Refresh > Refresh All.

The tables are refreshed using the new data source, but with the original data selections.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/make-changes-to-an-existing-data-source-in-power-pivot-9c...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors