Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kaintxu2

Oracle DB conection Gateway

Hi Everyone,

we need to connect to an Oracle DB. There will be multiple users who will be accessing it to create reports.

Can the gateway be installed on the server so that everyone uses the same gateway, or is it necessary to install it on each workstation that is going to access the Oracle DB?

Sorry for such an obvious question, but It is the first time I need to deal with gateways and I am still totally lost here on how to deal with them.

Kind regards,

8 REPLIES 8
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kaintxu2 

For more detailed guidance about gateway, you may read the following blog: 

The Power BI Gateway; All You Need to Know - RADACAD

There are multiple levels of controls on user access when it comes to gateway setup in Power BI. Each gateway can have three types of user access at the gateway level and another three types of user access at the data source level. You may make some users have gateway-level permissions to manage data sources and users of the gateway, and have the other users have data-source-level permissions to only the specific data sources they need to use. Above blog has a detailed introduction about user management in Users and Access Controls for Gateway section. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You install gateways on dedicated VMs  (they should ideally be running 24/7).  Then you install the same Oracle drivers and TNSNAMES.ORA entries on the gateway - make the setup identical to the workstation.

Then go to the Power BI Service and create a connection based on the TNS entry.

Thanks for the reply.

Quick follow up. Do you only need to install it in 1 VM and then all users can access the DB, or are there more instalations needed? 

Technically one VM is enough but for business continuity you will want to have at least two gateway cluster members.

The person dealing with the gateway instalation is trying to install it in a Windows Server 2019.

One athey get to the "the instalation is completed correctly" and asked for an email to be used with the gateway, they enter it but then get an error that the security configuration of Internet Explorer is blocking the content of the aplicaciones comming from the web site shown below.

kaintxu2_0-1715694102516.png

And they also get an error saying to start session you need JavaScript, and that JavaScript is blocked or the browser does not admit it.

kaintxu2_1-1715694171868.png

Has anyone come across theses issues?

I know they seem as easy as changing the IE security and installing JS, but its on someone elses server and not sure if they just don´t want to do it.

Kind regards

Deinstall IE from that image, it is long obsolete.  Install the Edge browser for WS instead.

For WS?

Whilel I know IE is long obsolete, I guess they just have it there. Could just having IE install really be a problem?

BTW it is being installed in a Windows 2019 Server, not WorkStation if (WS means Workstation in this case)

Sorry, I assumed that WS is clear. I meant Windows Server.  2019 or 2022.

Yes, just having IE installed is really a problem. Unless you want to endlessly fight with Trusted Sites and TLS and stuff you are better off deinstalling IE. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors