Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TylerVono
Helper III
Helper III

OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch.

Hello - Looking for some advice, I am querying a large excel file but am running into an unexpected error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)).

Any idea how I would trouble shoot this error?

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TylerVono ,

1. Check Data Types in Source File: The error might be occurring because you’re doing some conversion from the original data types. Go into the query editor and remove any type conversions and see if that works.
2. Remove and Re-add the Source:  Sometimes, simply removing the data source and re-adding it can resolve the issue. Go to "Home" > "Manage Queries" > "Data Source Settings", remove the source, and then reconnect to the Excel file.
3. Check for Null Values: Null values can sometimes cause type mismatch errors. Filter out or handle null values in the Query Editor.
4. Clear Data Load Cache: Try to clear the data load cache: Go to File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Data Load -> Clear cache. Save the file and load again.
5. Update Power BI Desktop: Ensure you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop as updates often include bug fixes.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors