Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lornafnb
Helper I
Helper I

Multiple date formats in column

Good day - my first post on the Forum! :)-

I'm reading from an Excel file, and the format of the date column is either 2021/11/08, or March '22 (in this case, it can default to 2022/11/01).

I suppose I could manually standardize/update it, as it is not a large file, but I would like to get to know it in code.

All help appreciated - please keep in mind I'm a beginner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Leave everything, in a custom column put this. That's it. 

= Date.From(if Text.Contains(Text.From([Live date]),"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Live date],"'","") else [Live date])

If you want to convert this column to a date, select column - Transform tab - Detect data type

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Have you tried selecting the column and clicking Parse Date under the Transform-Date option? Or a custom column using Date.FromText?

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Since you are beginner, I will suggest that you insert a new custom column and put following formula where [Date] needs to be replaced with your column

= Date.From(if Text.Contains([Date],"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Date],"'","") else [Date])

If you want to do in place column replacement, then insert following statement where Source needs to be replaced with your previous step.

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source,each [Date],each Date.From(if Text.Contains([Date],"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Date],"'","") else [Date]),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Date"})

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMtQ3NNQ3sFCK1YlW8k0sSs5QiCk1MDAyNzJSio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,each [Date],each Date.From(if Text.Contains([Date],"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Date],"'","") else [Date]),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Date"})
in
    Custom1

Hello, thank you very much for your response.

1. I have tried the first option, but it gives me an error - would you mind if I send you the file here? I'm not sure how to attach it here.

2. How do I create a blank query (3rd point in your reply)?

So much appreciated. Thanks

1. Make sure [Date] is replaced with your column name.

2. Ideal will be to upload the file without confidential/sensitive data to a cloud storage service such as Onedrive/Google Drive/Dropbox/Box (Onedrive preferred) and share the link here.

3. For Blank query - Right click on left side pane - New Query - Blank Query

1.png

1. My Field name is 'Live date' so my new column looks like this..

Date.From(if Text.Contains([Live date],"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Live date],"'","") else[Live date])

2. The [Live date] is currently a text field.

3. The New field is also a text field - the "replace" part in the script above works...(although it is still Text format..

P Bi 1.PNG

4. However the dates that were (correct) dates before, produce the error.

P Bi 22.PNG

I suspect it might be a Data type error?

Can you click on one of the errors and post the error here? To have the column in date format, use below step (Replace Source with your previous step)

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Date.From(if Text.Contains([Live date],"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Live date],"'","") else[Live date]), type date)

OR you can select the Custom column - Transform menu - Detect data type

I'm somewhat confused.

The order that I add the column is:

1) Transform

2) Add Column - Customer Column

3) I paste your line of code in there - get the below...(Then you mention I should replace Source with my previous step - I dont understand.)

P Bi 3.PNG

4. If I expand the Custom column, I get this...

P Bi 4.PNG

Then I select the Date Effective field only and I get an Error...

P Bi 5.PNG

All the Steps I have taken up to here is 

P Bi 6.PNG

I dont know where I am going wrong

Thanks

Do following -

1. Paste your sample data as table here. Refer to this - How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

2. Go to advanced editor, copy the code, in this text box press </> above, paste the code

Press Reply. 

Ok let me try..here is sample data from my Excel file

22-Jun-21
08-Nov-21
08-Nov-21
08-Nov-21
08-Nov-21
08-Nov-21
March '22
March '22
March '22
March '22

Here is the exact code I am using 

Table.AddColumn(Source, "Date Effective", each Date.From(if Text.Contains([Live date],"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Live date],"'","") else[Live date]), type date)

My column name in the Excel file is [Live date] .

Hope this helps

See the code below where I have changed Text.Contains([Live date],"'") to Text.Contains(Text.From([Live date]),"'")

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Result = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Date Effective", each Date.From(if Text.Contains(Text.From([Live date]),"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Live date],"'","") else [Live date]))
in
    Result

1. your first statement - 

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],

1. do I paste it into the Applied step Source? 

2. The next part - I assume that is the new calculated column - please explain the change?

Thankful

Leave everything, in a custom column put this. That's it. 

= Date.From(if Text.Contains(Text.From([Live date]),"'") then "1"&Text.Replace([Live date],"'","") else [Live date])

If you want to convert this column to a date, select column - Transform tab - Detect data type

Stunning - it works. Please may you explain what made it work?

Appreciate your assistance.

I'm so sorry - I am really stupid with this.

1. The error message that the values cannot be converted to text - so your thinking that it needs to be converted to date is correct.

2. In your suggestion - it starts with Table.Addcolumn....why is that - I still have a query, not a table...

thanks

Unfortunately my organization prevents using any of these services

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors