Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value|tried both measure and calculated column

I am trying to retrieve specific KPI status % on donut(Pass,fail,pending) using month slicer on visual but getting the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."

I tried it with both measure and calculated column. Although i doubt on using calculated column becoz im not doing any calculations in table columns , it is retrieval of text status . 

any help will be appriciated 

KPI Status Name =
VAR ThisMonthKPIStatusName =
SWITCH (
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Date Table'[MonthName]),
"July", FILTER('07142020','07142020'[KPI Status]),
"August", FILTER('08042020','08042020'[KPI Status])
)
RETURN
ThisMonthKPIStatusName
7 REPLIES 7
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to this blog to provide sample data for test: How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum.

Best Regards,

Icey

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , When you created a column or measure you expected to return a column of measure

This is returning Table. Filter return Table

FILTER('07142020','07142020'[KPI Status])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

thanks for quick response, FILTER('07142020','07142020'[KPI Status]) , here KPI [status] is column of table 07142020

can you suggest what should i ammend to get expected outcome. 

@Anonymous , then it should be like

KPI Status Name =
SWITCH (
"July", '07142020'[KPI Status],
"August", '08042020'[KPI Status]
)

Not this can not be column because you use selected value so return measure

KPI Status Name =
SWITCH (
"July", Max('07142020'[KPI Status]),
"August", max('08042020'[KPI Status])
)

return ThisMonthKPIStatusName 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak  

but it return max value, i am looking for all values (Pass,fail,pending) to return so that indiviual status % can appear on donut chart

@Anonymous , that will happen because of row context.

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak  i did not get attachment link here to attach pbix file

I must be doing something wrong here in getting output value, what i read is we should use calculated column and not measure if we are looking for multi value return.

i have two tables 07142020 and 08142020 and i created a calculated column in table 07142020. Although this calculated column is also giving me same error but i have one question here if you can guide me.

how can i create a indepedent calculated column (even there is not math calculation in it , as this is just filter values) because if i create it in one of the table then i need to do relationship to map values and multi column relationship is not supported in Power BI as of now (there is already 1 relationship exists)

or neither calculation column nor measure is rite solution for this to return multiple values dependent upon selected slicer month value

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors