Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tan_LC
Helper I
Helper I

Merge different rows with the same attribute into one row but with different value column

Hi, 

In below table, I would like to merge the rows by the attribute of Hour.

When merging the rows, Value for Cure Press shall be created on its own instead of sum up with the Machine Value.

Kindly refer to the expected result table for more details.

DateSize NoMachineCure PressCycle TimeHourValue
1/2/2023A045205  1039
1/2/2023A045205301213.2109
1/2/2023A045205  1130
1/2/2023A045205301213.2119

Expected Result:

DateSize NoMachineCure PressCycle TimeHourMachine ValueCure Press Value
1/2/2023A045205301213.210399
1/2/2023A045205301213.211309

Thank you.

Regards,

Tan LC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To create your two columns, you just select the new custom column and go to the Transform tab > Pivot Column. In the dialog there, you select [Value] from the dropdown list to use as your new values for each column.

Paste this over the default code in Advanced Editor to see each step working:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ30jcyMDJW0lFyNDAxBVJGBiBSAYoNDYCEsaVSrA5utcYGhkYgpcZ6RjAd+DXADTcE6ybFcEOI4bEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, #"Size No" = _t, Machine = _t, #"Cure Press" = _t, #"Cycle Time" = _t, Hour = _t, Value = _t]),
    chgType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Size No", type text}, {"Machine", Int64.Type}, {"Cure Press", Int64.Type}, {"Cycle Time", type number}, {"Hour", Int64.Type}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    addValueType = Table.AddColumn(chgType, "ValueType", each if [Cure Press] = null then "Machine Value"
else "Cure Press Value"),
    pivotValueType = Table.Pivot(addValueType, List.Distinct(addValueType[ValueType]), "ValueType", "Value", List.Sum)
in
    pivotValueType

It will give you this output:BA_Pete_0-1677486819131.png

Once here, you can Group By [Date], [Size No], [Machine], [Hour], MAX([Cure Press]), MAX([Cycle Time]), MAX([Machine Value]), MAX([Cure Press Value]) to get a single row for each Date/Size/Machine/Hour instance.

However, as before, I would recommend not pivoting these into their own columns. It will likely cause you problems later if your model becomes larger and needs relationships and measures over multiple tables.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mahesh0016
Super User
Super User

Hello Tan_LC,

Mahesh0016_0-1677494085070.png

>> First Step Fill up Blank Value.

>> Second Add INDEX Column Start with 0.

>> Add Custom Column with this conditions >> try #"Added Index" [Value] {[Index]+1} otherwise null.

>>Remove Alternative Row >>

Mahesh0016_1-1677494285986.png

>>Remove Index Column if you want other wise keepit.

Here is M code of all Step :

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Size No", type text}, {"Machine", Int64.Type}, {"Cure                                    Press", Int64.Type}, {"Cycle Time", type number}, {"Hour", Int64.Type}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
#"Filled Up" = Table.FillUp(#"Changed Type",{"Cure Press", "Cycle Time"}),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Filled Up", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Previous Data", each try #"Added Index" [Value] {[Index]+1} otherwise                                         null),
#"Remove Rows" = Table.AlternateRows(#"Added Custom",1,1,1),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Remove Rows",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

@Tan_LC 
if this post help you please mark as solutions and like.

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tan_LC ,

There's two ways to go about this. One ends in your desired output structure, the other in the 'correct' data structure:

Both start by adding a new custom column, something like this:

if [Cure Press] = null then "Machine Value"
else "Cure Press Value"

At this point, your data is actually optimally structured for Power BI reporting, and I would recommend sending the table to the data model like this.

If you really need your data structure as per your example, you can now just pivot your new custom column and use [Value] as your values.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @BA_Pete ,

In your solution given, I couldn't work out how to turn "Value" column into "Machine Value" & "Cure Press Value" column.  

Regards,

Tan LC

To create your two columns, you just select the new custom column and go to the Transform tab > Pivot Column. In the dialog there, you select [Value] from the dropdown list to use as your new values for each column.

Paste this over the default code in Advanced Editor to see each step working:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ30jcyMDJW0lFyNDAxBVJGBiBSAYoNDYCEsaVSrA5utcYGhkYgpcZ6RjAd+DXADTcE6ybFcEOI4bEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, #"Size No" = _t, Machine = _t, #"Cure Press" = _t, #"Cycle Time" = _t, Hour = _t, Value = _t]),
    chgType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Size No", type text}, {"Machine", Int64.Type}, {"Cure Press", Int64.Type}, {"Cycle Time", type number}, {"Hour", Int64.Type}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    addValueType = Table.AddColumn(chgType, "ValueType", each if [Cure Press] = null then "Machine Value"
else "Cure Press Value"),
    pivotValueType = Table.Pivot(addValueType, List.Distinct(addValueType[ValueType]), "ValueType", "Value", List.Sum)
in
    pivotValueType

It will give you this output:BA_Pete_0-1677486819131.png

Once here, you can Group By [Date], [Size No], [Machine], [Hour], MAX([Cure Press]), MAX([Cycle Time]), MAX([Machine Value]), MAX([Cure Press Value]) to get a single row for each Date/Size/Machine/Hour instance.

However, as before, I would recommend not pivoting these into their own columns. It will likely cause you problems later if your model becomes larger and needs relationships and measures over multiple tables.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors