Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JessyMG27
Frequent Visitor

LookUp In PowerQuery

I have a column that looks at the responses students have given to the question ' What is your discipline?'  Each numeric value is is a discipline. E.g. 56 = Medicine, 115 = Dentistry etc. 

JessyMG27_1-1698313206626.png

I have another table that consists of all the discipline names and the key 

JessyMG27_2-1698313348437.png

How do I make the first column look at the table above and change all the numbers to the actual text. 

Each row in the first table is a response, so I need each response instead of showing a numeric value to show the discipline name that is stated in the second table above. 

Not sure if its just a matter of a custom column 

If anyone could help please! 

Many thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You could just use the Merge menu to do a Nested Left Outer Join on Index = Key, and then expand just the Disciplines text column.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

From your original post - "Each numeric value is is a discipline. E.g. 56 = Medicine, 115 = Dentistry " so you want to merge on Q33-discipline  and key

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

A misunderstanding seems to be happening here.  My previous post is the answer, not another question

Apologies!

Thanks you so much it worked!

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

From your original post - "Each numeric value is is a discipline. E.g. 56 = Medicine, 115 = Dentistry " so you want to merge on Q33-discipline  and key

Yup thats right, so each numeric value in the Q33-discipline should be text  and the text would be the name of the discipline that, that student is in

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

What fields did you merge on?

Can you show a screengrab of the merge screen please?

I did index=key:

JessyMG27_0-1698328407413.png

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You could just use the Merge menu to do a Nested Left Outer Join on Index = Key, and then expand just the Disciplines text column.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Hi Nate, many thank for replying,

I tried doing that when but when i merge and expand it only just copies and pastes the discipline column as it is. 

JessyMG27_1-1698317734841.png

So in the second column in the image above the first reponse '56' should be "Chemistry -Chemistry" and the second response which is '115' should be "Business and Management - Human resources management

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors