Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Swam80
Frequent Visitor

Importi ng Multiple CSV/Excel files.

Hello all,

I have a folder that has 5 distinct csv files. THese 5 files are 5 different tables so i do not wish to combine/merge them. How do I import them as 5 different tables?
I connected them to folder but every csv file has binary type which can only be combined.
How to go ahead?

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Swam80 

You said you had 5 files - you have many more than that?

The folder connector is designed to load multiple files of the same structure - that is they have the same tables in the that you want to append together.

If you have lots of files with different tables in them, so you don't plan to join them all together, then the folder connector isn't the tool you need.

If you do use the Folder connector, you can click on the Transform button during import (as opposed to Combine and Transform) and you'll get a list of files in that folder.  The first column will be the binarty content of the files.

From this point you have to decide what you want to do.  What is the purpose of loading all these files?

If you have different internal structures in the files, then any query/steps you write are particular to that file(s) structure and won't work for anything else.

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

At present I have 5 files, but in general if we have many tables, then what is the alternative to manual loading is what I wanted to know. Every table has different structure.

I thought about one way, if i right click on the binary part and select add as new query then I can get individual queries for every binary i.e table. But again that would be a manual task. So can we write a custom function which will do it for every row which is binary ?

You mentioned that every table has different structure - so you have to edit every query manually anyway...

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

Swam80
Frequent Visitor

That would be for any transformation that Iwould have to do right. Here it would only be to load it as table. If you know a way out then kindly suggest,

@Swam80 

Loading it as a table is a transformation.  As each file is different the name and structure of the table(s) in the file will/can be different.  So the process of 'simply' loading the table from a file will be different for each file.

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Swam80 

Don't use the folder connector.  Import each file as its own separate file/query.  Just use the Text/CSV connector.

Phil

But what if i have many files? It will be time consuming to manually load each and every file

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors