Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Impala and Power Query

Just recently used the Impala connector (import mode) for the first time. What I noticed is that there is no "View Native Query" selectable in the Applied Steps. So how do I know if Query Folding is working or not? Does the Query Folding concept somehow not apply to Impala? If not, is there any chance that a Power Query query could run inefficiently on the Impala database/server side? Do IT people need not fear Power Query queries for some reason? And how would I mitigate that? Just trying to understand so I don't cause any kind of issue. Wouldn't want lose access or be told I can't use Power Query anymore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @robarivas ,

Generally, if custom SQL queries cannot be run against the source, the Native Query function is not available. Other sources which do not have a Native Query option include: text files, streaming and other online sources, and most data sources in beta. Additionally, if no "SQL" version of a function or transformation is readily available, generally, the Native Query function will be disabled at that point. Unfortunately, I have been unable to discover a reliable source for the list of functions, sources, and transformations which disable Native Query display (and Query Folding).  Even so, the availability of this tool is a giant step forward in producing efficient Power BI data sources and troubleshooting both performance and other issues with data sets in Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @robarivas ,

Generally, if custom SQL queries cannot be run against the source, the Native Query function is not available. Other sources which do not have a Native Query option include: text files, streaming and other online sources, and most data sources in beta. Additionally, if no "SQL" version of a function or transformation is readily available, generally, the Native Query function will be disabled at that point. Unfortunately, I have been unable to discover a reliable source for the list of functions, sources, and transformations which disable Native Query display (and Query Folding).  Even so, the availability of this tool is a giant step forward in producing efficient Power BI data sources and troubleshooting both performance and other issues with data sets in Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors