Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LordSnow
Regular Visitor

I would like to add a column to a table by comparing another table

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to add a custom column by comparing a different table. To simplify let's say I have 2 tables (or 2 queries or 2 datasets). One is called June and another is called July. Both tables are almost identical. both have 2 columns; Client name and sales amount. Sometimes Order placed are canceled, let's say a client placed an order in June and canceled it in July. Now I want to create a column in June called canceledINjuly. I want to compare rows between both tables and put VALUE 1 next in the canceledINjuly column.

I am new to POWERBI. Is there a custom column code I can use in power query?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

5 REPLIES 5
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @LordSnow ,

this is doable. please provide a sample data and your desired output to help you better

Thank you @mussaenda for replying. Here I am providing 2 tables, with just 10 entries. IRL I have 1000s of entries for each month. 
This is June Table:

LordSnow_0-1695368998227.png

This is July Table: 

LordSnow_1-1695369054151.png

Now, as you can see in the July table the 1st and the 5th entries are not the same, that is because John Smith and David Lee canceled their orders during the month of July. So I want the PowerBI to automatically add value 1 in the June table column 'canceled in July':

LordSnow_0-1695371266393.png

Thank you for your help.

mussaenda_0-1695392673441.png

Thank You This Works!! I am very grateful for this solution

so you are saying that every month is one table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors