Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Berean_50
Helper I
Helper I

How to group rows dynamically

Given the following input:

Berean_50_0-1639377547224.png

the goal is to produce the following output where the table is grouped by the static columns Name and Period. The challenging aspect of this task is that Category A, Category B, Category C are dynamic columns. There could be one or more columns by different names. That means we can't refer to these columns by name.

The desired output is the following:

Berean_50_1-1639377721752.png

Assumptions:

1. Name and Period columns are always known and are used in the Group By.
  2. The variable columns will always start at position 3.
  3. There could be one or more dynamic columns.
  4. The last dynamic column (in this case, Category C) will always be the last column on the table.

I can produce the right results using Power Query UI to group rows. However, since I don't know what the dynamic columns are I would need to refer to the list of columns using column indexes. That's where the challenge is. Any help on how to get the desired results would be hugely appreciated.

Here's the source test file:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuHocvOERo6IhNoIl4d1ax2SjTgXSA?e=uO4bd5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about this?

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    DynamicColumns = List.RemoveItems(Table.ColumnNames(Source), {"Name", "Period"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Name", "Period"},
        List.Transform(DynamicColumns, (col) => {col, each List.Max(Table.Column(_, col)), type text}))
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

This takes the column names other than "Name" and "Period" and maxes over them in a Group By step.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about this?

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    DynamicColumns = List.RemoveItems(Table.ColumnNames(Source), {"Name", "Period"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Name", "Period"},
        List.Transform(DynamicColumns, (col) => {col, each List.Max(Table.Column(_, col)), type text}))
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

This takes the column names other than "Name" and "Period" and maxes over them in a Group By step.

@AlexisOlson 
This is very clever piece of code. Brilliant! I learned something today. Unfortunately all I can afford is to say "Thank You".

Thingsclump
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @Berean_50 

For challenging part, I would recommend to rename 3rd, 4th and 5th column in PQ initially by referring position. You can use "Table.RenameColumns" using position. This way all steps downstream are not impacted. 

Thankyou

Thingsclump

www.thingsclump.com 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors