Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get a row per nested field

{
    "records": {
        "record_id_1": {
            "file_no": "5792C",
            "loads": {
                "load_id_1": {
                    "docket_no": "3116115"
                },
                "load_id_2": {
                    "docket_no": "3116118"
                },
                "load_id_3": {
                    "docket_no": "3208776"
                }
            }
        },
        "record_id_2": {
            "file_no": "5645C",
            "loads": {
                "load_id_4": {
                    "docket_no": "2000527155"
                },
                "load_id_5": {
                    "docket_no": "2000527156"
                },
                "load_id_6": {
                    "docket_no": "2000527146"
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

How do I import this JSON into excel to a table with a row per load id and columns record id, file_no, load_id, docket number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
the function Record.ToTable is your friend for this task:

let
    Source = "{#(lf)    ""records"": {#(lf)        ""record_id_1"": {#(lf)            ""file_no"": ""5792C"",#(lf)            ""loads"": {#(lf)                ""load_id_1"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""3116115""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_2"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""3116118""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_3"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""3208776""#(lf)                }#(lf)            }#(lf)        },#(lf)        ""record_id_2"": {#(lf)            ""file_no"": ""5645C"",#(lf)            ""loads"": {#(lf)                ""load_id_4"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""2000527155""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_5"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""2000527156""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_6"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""2000527146""#(lf)                }#(lf)            }#(lf)        }#(lf)    }#(lf)}",
    #"Parsed JSON" = Json.Document(Source),
    records = #"Parsed JSON"[records],
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(records),
    #"Expanded Value" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Value", {"file_no", "loads"}, {"file_no", "loads"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Value", "Custom", each Record.ToTable([loads])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"loads"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", {"Name", "Value"}, {"Name.1", "Value"}),
    #"Expanded Value1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Value", {"docket_no"}, {"docket_no"})
in
    #"Expanded Value1"

Paste the code above into the advanced editor of a blank query and follow the steps.

Step "Added Custom" contains the action that enables the expansion to one load id per row.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hello @Anonymous ,
have read your request 2 times, but still don't understand it, I'm sorry.
Please create an Excel file with some sample data (data sources and desired result).
Also, please create a new thread for this question and post the link to it here.
Thanks.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
the function Record.ToTable is your friend for this task:

let
    Source = "{#(lf)    ""records"": {#(lf)        ""record_id_1"": {#(lf)            ""file_no"": ""5792C"",#(lf)            ""loads"": {#(lf)                ""load_id_1"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""3116115""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_2"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""3116118""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_3"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""3208776""#(lf)                }#(lf)            }#(lf)        },#(lf)        ""record_id_2"": {#(lf)            ""file_no"": ""5645C"",#(lf)            ""loads"": {#(lf)                ""load_id_4"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""2000527155""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_5"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""2000527156""#(lf)                },#(lf)                ""load_id_6"": {#(lf)                    ""docket_no"": ""2000527146""#(lf)                }#(lf)            }#(lf)        }#(lf)    }#(lf)}",
    #"Parsed JSON" = Json.Document(Source),
    records = #"Parsed JSON"[records],
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(records),
    #"Expanded Value" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Value", {"file_no", "loads"}, {"file_no", "loads"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Value", "Custom", each Record.ToTable([loads])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"loads"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", {"Name", "Value"}, {"Name.1", "Value"}),
    #"Expanded Value1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Value", {"docket_no"}, {"docket_no"})
in
    #"Expanded Value1"

Paste the code above into the advanced editor of a blank query and follow the steps.

Step "Added Custom" contains the action that enables the expansion to one load id per row.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ImkeF,

I have a similar but slighlty different problem. I'm looking for a better way to merge 2 nested tables

I'm after this result

Leroy_0-1660865775814.png

I have a column [list from row] which contains a list from [Column1]

Leroy_1-1660866019639.png

I've also made this into a nested table (if that helps)

Leroy_2-1660866099744.png

I have a separate nested table in [levytable] that I want to lookup and return the corresponding 'Levy $' value.

Leroy_3-1660866297390.png

I can find the position of one of the items if it is a singluar item listed in a column

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "List Position Test", each List.PositionOf([levytable][#"Wording in Regs"],[column for List Postion test]))

Leroy_4-1660866661270.png

What I would like to get is this an added  column to the nested table that contains the matching amount. For example the first row in [Column1] in the nested table would have "Secondary Processors - Domestic and the [Levy $] column would contain "710.1"

Leroy_0-1660865775814.png  

I can get this with a nested join but it seems to slow the whole process as there is a lot of data

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leroy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors