Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to change the source path when using the folder option in Get Data

Hello, 

I am new to Power BI and have been building a dataset using the 'Folder' option (i.e. multiple .csv files are combined to create one file in power query). I now want to give someone else the capacity to use this pbix file. Because the original sources referenced a personalized path (see below), I don't seem to be able to make the transfer. 

= Source{[#"Folder Path"="C:\Users\emily.newell\Travelopia USA Inc\Quark Marketing - Documents\Reporting\Website Wistia\",Name="201806 - 201906 Wistia Stats - Videos.csv"]}[Content]

I have tried [Change Sources] and received an error in the 'Sample Query' that is a part of the Transform File step. I then adjusted those folder paths as well, but have still received an error. 

Would love suggestions. 

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Can you provide the new path you wish to transfer to?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure can: 

FROM: C:\Users\emily.newell\Travelopia USA Inc\Quark Marketing - Documents\Reporting\Website Wistia\

assuming sample file of: "201806 - 201906 Wistia Stats - Videos.csv"

TO: C:\Users\nicolas.singh\Travelopia USA Inc\Quark Marketing - Documents\Reporting\Website Wistia\

assuming the same sample file.

Alternatively, could I transfer the entire process to look at a GoogleDrive folder, rather than a local folder? 

I can't use a sharepoint folder because of the way in which our internal sharepoint permissions are setup. I receive an error. 

Thanks!

Please do not take any offense at this but when you switch all the folder paths, are you trying to refresh the model on the other user's computer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense at all! 😄 VERY new to this. 

So just to be clear about the steps. 

1. I'm adjusting the paths on the other users' computer. 
  2. I'm refreshing the model on the other users' computer.

So, yes, I am. Is that an issue?  The other user will be updating the data from folders on his local drive. He would therefore be required to refresh the data, no?

Thanks! 

@Anonymous 

You are correct. I only had to ask. Smiley Wink

Have you tried creating a new query in the model hitting that file directly just in case there is some qwirk with the system that changes the file path slightly? We have some system files that default to a specific drive that has to be manually adjusted when we move from computer to computer. 

in the existing data model, do a new hit to the folder and then grab the folder path directly from that query to switch into the query. You will need to put in in every instance of the connections, your sample, your combine, all of them.

If that doesn't work, can you grab the entire query from the advanced editor tab and paste it into the forum here so that it can be reviewed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors