Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Craig
Helper I
Helper I

How to Merge Columns based on the spelling of the column name

Hello I want to put in a "Insert Merged Column" step in my power query that merges all columns that begin with the word "Active" and separates them with a semi-colon

So right now i have this step to merge 5 fields into one field called "Final Active"    

======================================================

= Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "Final Active", each Text.Combine({[Active ABCD Law], [Active ABCD], [Active at time of application], [Active Personal], [Active Current]}, ";"), type text)

======================================================

so i tried using the following statement with a wildcard character Active * but I got a syntax error.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "Final Active", each Text.Combine({[Active *]} ";"), type text)

Can you please help me with a solution? 

thank you very much!!!

Craig

So i want to Add A column 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use following statement

= Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "Final Active", each Text.Combine(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Pivoted Column"),(x)=>Text.Start(x,6)="Active"))),";"), type text)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

something like this?

let
    Origine = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("HcmhEQAgDATBXl7HkFQAlJGJAPrvAQ6zZjO1ZGrt4RDQVZbahBMQMH4cIggImKq6", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [generic = _t, #"active 1" = _t, #"active 2" = _t, #"active 3" = _t, #"other column" = _t]),
    colstomerge= List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Origine), each Text.StartsWith(_,"active")),
    #"Merge di colonne" = Table.CombineColumns(Origine,colstomerge,Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.None),"active final")
in
    #"Merge di colonne"
Craig
Helper I
Helper I

that is perfect.   Thank you very very much!

Craig
Helper I
Helper I

the reason i need this is that sometimes when i do a previous Pivot Qurey step to create these 5 columns, sometimes there is no data in the "Attribute" column to create all 5 so i might get 3 or 4 columns instead of 5 columns ...thats why i need to merge all columns that begin with "Active" because all the columns to merge, whether its 1, 2, 3, 4 or all 5 columns, start with the word "Active"  thank you!!

Use following statement

= Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "Final Active", each Text.Combine(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Pivoted Column"),(x)=>Text.Start(x,6)="Active"))),";"), type text)

Nice.

I came up with something similar:

= Table.AddColumn(
    #"Pivoted Column",
    "Final Active",
    each
    Text.Combine(
        Record.FieldValues(
            Record.SelectFields(
                _,
                List.Select(
                    Record.FieldNames(_),
                    each Text.StartsWith(_, "Active")
                )
            )
        ),
        ";"
    ),
    type text
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors