Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmaloyb
Helper II
Helper II

Hexadecimal Value is an Invalid Character from Folder Source (using excel files)

I have a data source that imports a file folder. This file includes 60 different excel files (with identical table structure). When loading this to Power BI, I am getting the following error:

cmaloyb_0-1654104517166.png

When doing research for a solution, I've come across a lot of XML solutions, however I am not using XML (nor am I aware of what XML is). All the data are stored in Excel files. 

Any ideas on how to change this hexadecimal value to a valid character? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

One or more Excel files have xml problems. You can remove all files except one and refresh your query. Then add 2nd file and refresh query. This way, you will be able to know which all files have problems.

You will need to open those files in Excel and save again. Saving again will correct xml problems.

Also, whosoever is sending these files to you, ask the person to generate Excel file in a right way with correct xml. This happens when 3rd party tools/codes are used to generated Excel and they don't generate Excel files with correct xml.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

One or more Excel files have xml problems. You can remove all files except one and refresh your query. Then add 2nd file and refresh query. This way, you will be able to know which all files have problems.

You will need to open those files in Excel and save again. Saving again will correct xml problems.

Also, whosoever is sending these files to you, ask the person to generate Excel file in a right way with correct xml. This happens when 3rd party tools/codes are used to generated Excel and they don't generate Excel files with correct xml.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors