Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kjoe2495

Help removing a row based on one duplicate column and a different column condition

Hello I am finding some similar questions but nothing for my exact situation. Relatively new to Power Query and Power BI. I am trying to find a way to remove a row that has duplicate data in one column but different data in the other. See my below picture:

Kjoe2495_0-1705618433911.png

Essentially I have some duplicate values in the SKU column and different values in the Forecast Month column. For every situation where there is a duplicate SKU value, I am trying to keep the Month Value row rather than the Billed Value Row. In the above example, I am trying to keep the green highlighted row, while removing the orange.

Ordinarily in Excel, I would just highlight duplicate values in SKUs, filter for the color of the highlight, filter Forecast Month to Billed, and then delete those rows. This would leave me with no duplicates in the SKU column then. Please respond if you can help me!

2 REPLIES 2
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kjoe2495, I'm refering to @spinfuzer sample data (same result with different approach):

Change 2nd step YourSource = Source (refer instead of Source to your data):

dufoq3_0-1705676597265.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUXLKzMlJTVGK1YlWSkLlJqNyU1C5qajcNEyuY0FRZg6Ylw7kuaUmFZUmFlXCBZBUZyBxYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SKU = _t, #"Forecast Month" = _t]),
    YourSource = Source,
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(YourSource, {"SKU"}, {{"Forecast Month", each (if Table.RowCount(_) = 1 then _ else Table.SelectRows(_, (r)=> r[Forecast Month] <> "Billed")){0}[Forecast Month], type text}})
in
    GroupedRows

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

spinfuzer
Super User
Super User

Using custom sorting to sort by SKU and then by month not equal to Billed.

Table.Buffer this step.

Remove duplicates.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUXLKzMlJTVGK1YlWSkLlJqNyU1C5qajcNEyuY0FRZg6Ylw7kuaUmFZUmFlXCBZBUZyBxYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SKU = _t, #"Forecast Month" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SKU", type text}, {"Forecast Month", type text}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = 
        Table.Buffer(
            Table.Sort(
                #"Changed Type",
                (x,y) => 
                [ 
                    a = Value.Compare(x[SKU],y[SKU]),
                    b = if a <> 0 then a 
                        else Value.Compare(x[Forecast Month]="Billed",y[Forecast Month]="Billed")
                ][b]
            )
        ),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Sorted Rows", {"SKU"})
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors