Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FJS
Regular Visitor

Grouping Column

Hi,

It might be a stupid question. I tried but not able to find the perfect result.

I am trying to convert multiple columns into group rows in power query.

Below are the examples.

Data which I have (its a sample I have lot of columns after new department) :

NameOld CityNew CityOld Department

New Department

JamesNew YorkColumbusFinanceProcurement
HarryMesaDallasProcurementAnalytics

Data (Result) which I want in power query:

NameChange typeOld ValueNew Value
JamesCityNew YorkColumbus
JamesDepartmentFinanceProcurement
HarryCityMesaDallas
HarryDepartmentProcurementAnalytics

Thanks in Advance for your help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @FJS 

This error indicates that you are trying to convert a text type value into Number type. This usually happens in the Changed type step. Please check whether the value "FC0001" appears in "PCI" column. If so, change its column type to text instead. 

Change below step from

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"PCI", Int64.Type}, {"PCI Name", type text}, {"PCI Name_1", type text}, {"SiteIn", type text}, {"SiteIn_2", type text}}),

to

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"PCI", type text}, {"PCI Name", type text}, {"PCI Name_1", type text}, {"SiteIn", type text}, {"SiteIn_2", type text}}),

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FJS
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

If it is possible can you show me in other ways.

It would be best if you can show in the way which have no coding in it.

As my client might also need to do this in future by himself.

Hi @FJS 

You can paste the code provided by @m_dekorte into a blank query's Advanced Editor, click OK. Then you will see the result table. In the Applied Steps pane on the right side, there are detailed steps of this query. Click every step from top to bottom to check how it works step by step. 

vjingzhanmsft_0-1710403516362.png

For a deep dive on how to incorporate M code from the forums into your code, you can refer to the following resources:

Utilizing M Code Samples Given as Solutions in Power Query

Power BI Forum Help: How to integrate M-code into your existing solution

Don't be afraid of the M code. You will find that copying and pasting the M code is easier than replicating all steps one by one manually. And M code can be saved as a backup. 

Feel free to let us know if you're not sure how a step is implemented.

Best Regards,
Jing

Hi @v-jingzhan-msft @m_dekorte ,

I tried pasting code in my file but it is giving me error. IT looks like i have the number in the name column.

Below is the code and snippet of the error.

Error snippet

FJS_0-1710415166473.png

Code:

let

Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table7"]}[Content],
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14"}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Column1", "Column2", "Column8", "Column3", "Column9"}),
#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Reordered Columns",1),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Top Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"PCI", Int64.Type}, {"PCI Name", type text}, {"PCI Name_1", type text}, {"SiteIn", type text}, {"SiteIn_2", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"PCI Name", "Old PCM Name"}, {"PCI Name_1", "New PCM Name"}, {"SiteIn", "Old SiteM"}, {"SiteIn_2", "New SiteM"}}),

UnpivotOthers = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"PCI"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
SplitByDelimiter = Table.SplitColumn(UnpivotOthers, "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
MergeColumns = Table.CombineColumns(SplitByDelimiter,{"PC", "Attribute.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),
PivotColumn = Table.Pivot(MergeColumns, List.Distinct(MergeColumns[Attribute.1]), "Attribute.1", "Value"),
SplitColumn = Table.SplitColumn(PivotColumn, "Merged", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"City", "Change Type"})
in
SplitColumn

Hi @FJS 

This error indicates that you are trying to convert a text type value into Number type. This usually happens in the Changed type step. Please check whether the value "FC0001" appears in "PCI" column. If so, change its column type to text instead. 

Change below step from

to

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"PCI", type text}, {"PCI Name", type text}, {"PCI Name_1", type text}, {"SiteIn", type text}, {"SiteIn_2", type text}}),

FJS
Regular Visitor

FJS_0-1710356632956.png

Attaching snippet for more clarity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors