Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

iberapb
Regular Visitor

From cumulative to per month yeach year many categories query

Hello, I am trying to calculate montly data from cumulative data and 3 groups of data. In order to do that, I have to find PREVIOUS MONTH VALUE
SO, First of all, I grouped my data.

Secondly, I try to calculate previous month value  -> i get error

Thirdly, I am expecting my table. -> again error

I want to make sure, that DATE is in date type (it was in date format before expansion of table, but after the expansion it became other). Any suggestions why errors? What to do with data format? Maybe other ways to calculate previous value? ONLY POWER QUERY. In DAX I achieved desired results simply, but I need to manipulate data in excel.

Almost all my code from advanced editor in power query:

<....>
#"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Data", each Text.Combine({[Mėnuo], Text.From([Metai], "lt-LT")}, "#(tab)"), type text),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Merged Column",{{"Data", type date}}),
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Metai", "Mėnuo", "Mėnesio nr.", "Mokestis", "Tipas", "Data"}, "attribute", "Value"),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{{"Value", "Reikšmė"}, {"attribute", "Kategorija"}}),
sorted_data = Table.Sort(#"Renamed Columns", {{"Data", Order.Ascending}}),
// Step 2: Group data by category and type
grouped_data = Table.Group(#"sorted_data", {"Kategorija", "Tipas", "Mokestis"}, {{"Data", each _, type table}}),
// Step 3: Add custom column to each group that calculates previous month value
with_prev_value = Table.TransformColumns(grouped_data, {
{"Data", each Table.AddColumn(_, "Previous Month Value",
each let
prev_month = Date.AddMonths(Date.FromText([Data]{0}[Data], "yyyy-MM-dd"), -1),
prev_month_values = Table.SelectRows([Data], each [Data] = prev_month)
in if List.IsEmpty(prev_month_values) then null else List.Sum(prev_month_values[Value])
), type table}
}),
// Step 4: Expand the "Data" column to get the final table
final_data = Table.ExpandTableColumn(with_prev_value, "Data", {"Previous Month Value", "Data", "Value"}, {"Previous Month Value", "Data", "Value"}),
// Step 5: Add a new column that converts the Data column to a date data type
with_date_column = Table.AddColumn(final_data, "Date", each Date.FromText([Data], "yyyy-MM-dd"))
in
with_date_column

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors