Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

isa2003
Frequent Visitor

Filtering in Power Query

I have established a one-to-many relationship between two tables - I & II.

Based on this relationship, I would like to filter table II (many) based on the Id column in table I (one). I would like to set up this filter in Power Query itself to limit the number of records being imported into Power BI from the data source.

I would appreciate guidance to accomplish this. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There are no relationships between queries in Power Query.  If you really must, use Merge functions.  But it is far better to load the data into Power BI and let the data model do the work for you.

Thanks Ibendlin.

Is there a way to reduce the number of records being imported into Power BI by matching a field in a large table with a field in another table.

I am importing two tables into PBI. One is Sales (records < 400k) another is Sales Product (records > 850k). Since the analysis relates to a specific period of time, I have used a date filter in Power Query to reduce the number of Sales records being imported to < 200k. I would like to use the Id column in the Sales table to identify and import only the matching records from Sales Product into PBI.

I have multiple other tables as well so am trying to limit the amount of data to what I actually need for the analysis without slowing down PBI.

I appreciate your guidance. Thanks in advance.

You would need to do the pre filtering in the upstream system. But is it really necessary? Don't limit your options if you don't have to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors