Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

WLou
Helper I
Helper I

File & Data source location recommendation

Hi all, 

What's the best practice for file location and source data location I'm new to the orgnasation and novice to PBI so hopefully can get some answers from you.

I have few excel files to share around which has data connected to few local folders (not much data and can easily move around) 

The organisation has pretty much everything saved on Sharepoint, though the local shared drive is still availble but unless that's the only option they do not like that idea. 

So far I have tried to upload source data to sharepoint and reset the path, it seems taking very very long time to refreah; in the past I would defenitely set everything in share drvie where people can access

Question: 

What's the best practice for file location and source data location in this senario? 

Thanks in advance 

Wendy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @WLou 

we have a similar situation in our company. You have to differenciate if the person using the report need only to watch it or if they need also to update it. 

If they only need to watch it, it doesn't matter were you stored the file, as long as the people that have to refresh the data have access. If you everyone also needs to refresh it, choose the infrastructure available in your company (shared folder, sharepoint). This is more a decision of your admin because of authorizations issues for every platform.

Hope this helps

Jimmy

View solution in original post

Not sure why .Files would work and .Contents would not. Are you using SharePoint online or is it on prem? Your URL seems to indicate online, but you only have one namespace after the .com. I have to have two - /sites/SiteName

You cannot browse at the sites level.

Other than that you might need to contact your IT department about permissions. I know they can disable SharePoint browsing in Power Query, but was unaware they could let SharePoint.Files work and block SharePoint.Contents. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @WLou 

have you been able to solve the problem with the replies given?

If so, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

All the best

Jimmy

edhans
Super User
Super User

Depends on the data, but SharePoint is often fine. The problem is when you connect to a SharePoint folder, Power Query generates a statement like =SharePoint.Files("https://blahblah")

That will scan the entire sharepoint site.

If the relevant files per report/query are in one folder, change SharePoint.Files to SharePoint.Contents and leave the rest of the function the same. It will then let you quickly navigate to the folder where the data is and get a file or combine multiple files. But it only works if all files are in the same folder. If not, then you have to stick with SharePoint.Files and filter down the list some other way, and that takes a long time. 

You could use something like Azure DataLake, but that really wants data on a per-folder too.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thank you all for your contribtes, it defenitely clearify things

@edhans  one more question, https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/xxxxx/ is the link I use to connect, and if I add another level of folder after site it errors 

and even I succeed to add another folder which narrows down the search, it still contains 50 odd subfolders after that 

If I ask IT to set up a folder at higher leverl woudl it help? 

Regards,

Wendy

@WLou you don't add folders in the main URL.

1. Connect to a SharePoint site folder as you normally do.
  2. When the connection is done and the Source line will say something like this: = SharePoint.Files("https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName", [ApiVersion = 15])
  3. Change it to say this: SharePoint.Contents("https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName", [ApiVersion = 15])
  4. Now you will see instead of a list of every single file and folder on the site, you'll just see top level folders.
  5. Click on the green "Table" link next to Shared Documents
  6. Now just keep clicking on the Table links next to the folders as you navigate to where this stuff is.
  7. Once there, filter by file or whatever, then do the Combine operation.

Sorry to be a pain, just changed Files to Contents in query editor and its giving me "Expression.Error: Access to the resource is forbidden."  does it means there a certain file that has been locked away? 

FROM

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("https://xxxxxx.sharepoint.com/xxx/", [ApiVersion = 15])
in
Source

TO

let
Source = SharePoint.Contents("https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/xxx/", [ApiVersion = 15])
in
Source

Not sure why .Files would work and .Contents would not. Are you using SharePoint online or is it on prem? Your URL seems to indicate online, but you only have one namespace after the .com. I have to have two - /sites/SiteName

You cannot browse at the sites level.

Other than that you might need to contact your IT department about permissions. I know they can disable SharePoint browsing in Power Query, but was unaware they could let SharePoint.Files work and block SharePoint.Contents. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

These days I would say Azure File Storage but this is a highly subjective question. I do not think that there is a one size fits all best practice for this.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you Greg 

Not sure if its worth getting for only few files to be shared? 

The reason of having excel files is the drill down function of the pivot table, where PBI can only down to certain level

I'm planning to have majority of the reports done via PBI and distribute to the wider audiance so I guess no need to worry where to store the data? 

Regards,

Wendy

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @WLou 

we have a similar situation in our company. You have to differenciate if the person using the report need only to watch it or if they need also to update it. 

If they only need to watch it, it doesn't matter were you stored the file, as long as the people that have to refresh the data have access. If you everyone also needs to refresh it, choose the infrastructure available in your company (shared folder, sharepoint). This is more a decision of your admin because of authorizations issues for every platform.

Hope this helps

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors