Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Denudi
Frequent Visitor

Expand lists and their values into several or a single column

Hey guys,

I'm already trying for a long time, used microsoft learn and chatGPT and it feels like almost every possible function I found - now I'm here and hope you can help. 

My initial situation and aim:

Denudi_0-1690891570574.png

I want to transform the Column "Mitigation Details", so first of all the useless dashes disappear and I can sperate every action to work with these data further on. I solved this easily by adding a costum column and the following code:

let 
inputText = [Mitigation Details], 
delimiter = " - - - - -", 
beforeDelimiter = Text.BeforeDelimiter(inputText, delimiter), 
extractedList = Text.Split(beforeDelimiter, "Action"), 
resultList = List.RemoveFirstN(extractedList, 1) 
in resultList

The result is of course a new column with the created list objects:

Denudi_1-1690891434358.png

If I go into a single List, the result is good and as desired so far, I could work with that:

Denudi_2-1690891434360.png

But the problem is, that I neither can visualize these "List" objects in that form, nor can I make further calculations or transformations. So my goal (and current problem) is, that I'm trying to expand all of the values in the lists into separate columns (1 row = 1 column => one list contains 4 "Actions" -> 4 columns) or option 2 is, to write each list with its values below each other in a single column within a new table and provide each line with its associated id (there is an ID column in that source table) in order to be able to assign it to the original record. Option 2 is the better way for me I think.

I tried a lot with table.expandListColumn, table.Pivot und table.AddColumn in various combinations, but either I get a circular reference or a stack overflow error. Somehow I have the feeling, that the issue could also be, that I put everything into that one function of the new costum column.. maybe I have to split the steps? However, I would appreciate your help a lot! 🙂 

kind regards

6 REPLIES 6
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Denudi ,

Can you provide an example of your original data in a copyable format please?

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey @BA_Pete, sure, I hope that will do it:

IDMitigation Details
97730Action - 105848 -  Qualitätsprüfung der - Open - 28/02/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 105849 - Massen- und Mengen - Grobkalkulation- Open - 30/09/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 105850 -  Überarbeitung der Entwurf-  - Open - 30/09/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
98946Action - 107464 - Qualitätspr - Open - 01/02/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 107465 - Massen- und Me - Open - 30/09/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 107466 - Überarbeitung der Entwu - Open - 30/09/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
98946Action - 107464 - Qualitätsprüfung der Entw - Open - 01/02/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 107465 - Massen- und Mengenermitt - Open - 30/09/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 107466 - Überarbeitung der E - Open - 30/09/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
98946Action - 93863 - Mitigation Ac - Open - 31/12/2032 - Undefined - Undefined
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
98947Action - 79792 - Unterstüt - 30/04/2022 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 93174 - Identifizierung und - No more relevant - 31/08/2022 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 105873 - Restliches - Open - 31/12/2023 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 107228 - Wechsel auf Top - Closed (succesful) - 01/12/2022 - Undefined - Undefined
Action - 108653 - Halle-Saale-Wor - Closed (succesful) - 30/11/2022 - Undefined - Undefined
 -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

Would something like this work for you?

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jY7NasMwEIRfRfjUQoP1Y8fysfSSXBJoGnxwcxDyOhGoK2NZPfTps6EkBEqJYdmdGdiPadus1nVRZS/Zq51cQLZgtRJVQXfdAU6udz8OxoRHlrCjdBPYVxiBjeDh2+BEkRI517nkUpLZYwe9Q+ju9Sfe6IKXulIk3iFO3tkTRDLbAfCXJOSFpGaRKik1iQbsKYJnJvXsIwyUvPkQ6e8pJmsh9sk/U8iv8Hk19bK8tFgZ72GxM4Z2E8b/4IrnQjyAk/s72eFwBg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, #"Mitigation Details" = _t]),

addSplitList = Table.AddColumn(Source, "splitList", each Text.Split([Mitigation Details], "#(lf)")),
    expandSplitList = Table.ExpandListColumn(addSplitList, "splitList")

in
    expandSplitList

Gives the following output:

BA_Pete_0-1690896163388.png

If you wanted to subsequently break it out into new columns, you could filter out the "- - - -" row and split the column on " - " as a delimiter.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

For clarity, the code I provided is a complete example query so you can see the solution working in Power Query, it is not intended to be added as-is into an existing query.

To make this work on an existing query, you only need to add a custom column with this calculation:

Text.Split([Mitigation Details], "#(lf)")

Then expand the resulting list column to NEW ROWS using this button:

BA_Pete_0-1690901022171.png

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey Pete, thanks a lot for your suggestions!
Sadly, the result of your code are tables, which can not be visualized or furthermore transformed easily. 
The split method works fine and also results in lists, whose values are good to use, but the Power BI function "Expand to New Rows" results again in a single column, and not several, and the content of every row is only the first element of the list. Is that an error in my application? I can't imagine, that this is usually not the result of "Expand to New Rows", otherwise it would say "Expand to New Row" 😅

Dennis 

It sounds like either an error in application or non-representative example data.

Did you try my example query to see if that works how you want it to?

Copy all of the following code, create a new blank query in Power Query then, in Advanced Editor for your new query, paste the whole lot of it in there replacing the default code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jY7NasMwEIRfRfjUQoP1Y8fysfSSXBJoGnxwcxDyOhGoK2NZPfTps6EkBEqJYdmdGdiPadus1nVRZS/Zq51cQLZgtRJVQXfdAU6udz8OxoRHlrCjdBPYVxiBjeDh2+BEkRI517nkUpLZYwe9Q+ju9Sfe6IKXulIk3iFO3tkTRDLbAfCXJOSFpGaRKik1iQbsKYJnJvXsIwyUvPkQ6e8pJmsh9sk/U8iv8Hk19bK8tFgZ72GxM4Z2E8b/4IrnQjyAk/s72eFwBg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, #"Mitigation Details" = _t]),

addSplitList = Table.AddColumn(Source, "splitList", each Text.Split([Mitigation Details], "#(lf)")),
    expandSplitList = Table.ExpandListColumn(addSplitList, "splitList")

in
    expandSplitList

If this works how you want it to but you're not getting the same result in your actual query, then I'll need to have a look in more detail at your actual query to understand where the issue lies.

If this example doesn't do what you want it to, then you'll need to provide me with clearer expected output examples, showing exactly how you want the data to end up after the whole process.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors