Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChemEnger
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Dynamically evaluate Duration

I would like to dynamically evaluate hours or minutes from durations.  I have successfully used a 'dictionary' table to describe data types in a master data table, e.g.

Column NameTypeUnits
Start Datetype date 
Temperaturetype number°C
Pressuretype numberbarg
Long Durationtype durationhours
Short Durationtype durationminutes
Commentstype text 

I can then use

#"Added Evalaution" = Table.AddColumn(<Dictionary>, "Evaluate", each Expression.Evaluate(Record.Field(_, "Type")))

and

#"List of Transforms" = Table.ToRows(#"Added Evaluation")

to generate a list that can then be passed to

#"Changed Types" = Table.TransformColumns(<Master>, #"List of Transforms")

This will dynamically change the column types based on the 'Type' column in the dictionary.

What I would now like to do is dynamically take the 'hours' and 'minutes' from the units column (converted to 'Duration.TotalHours' and 'Duration.TotalMinutes' as strings) and use them as a transform function.  I have tried

#"Added Duration Evaluation" = Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step", "Duration", each Expression.Evaluate(Record.Field(_, "Units")))
z

But I get the error "Expression.Error: [1,1-1,20] The name 'Duration.TotalHours' doesn't exist in the current context".

Specifically, I need this to run in the service, not desktop, and I want to chart the numbers with human-readable values so I can't just use duration data types.

Edit 1: I know I can brute force it by multiplying my duration (which is essentially a fraction of a day) by either 24 for hours or 24*60 for minutes but I think I'd have to stuff this in a loop of columns and it's not very elegant

Edit 2: Not perfect but I have taken the approach described in Power Query: Data Transformation of Dynamic Columns

// Transform those columns flagged as hours to Duration.TotalHours
Hours = Table.TransformColumns (
#"Changed Types",
List.Transform (
Table.SelectRows(<dictionary>, each [Units] = "hours")[Column Name],
each {_, Duration.TotalHours, type number}
)
)

And of course, the same for [Units] = "minutes" to Duration.TotalMinutes

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

But I get the error "Expression.Error: [1,1-1,20] The name 'Duration.TotalHours' doesn't exist in the current context".

Add it to the context as requested.  There is an additional parameter to Expression.Evaluate().

Expression.Evaluate(Record.Field(_, "Units",[Duration.TotalHours=Duration.TotalHours])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors